Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pagefile.sys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mnd1982

mnd1982

• Deactivated
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

Today I saw a tutorial on how to make your computer delete the pagefile.sys on system shut down.You can watch it on following url:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/358526/make_...when_shut_down/

I am writing down the whole process as shown on the tutorial

go to
control panel>administrative tools>local security policy>click on local policies
On the right hand side window scroll down to "shut down:Clear virtual memory page file" right click on it select properties check the "enable" option.If it is already enabled then click on 'disable" and then click on "enable".

I just want to ask is it safe to do so? If not is there any tool to clean the clutter(unnecessary files) from pagefile.sys please suggest

Moderator Edit: Closed BBCode tags, made link clickable and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 23 February 2007 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hello,

It is safe to delete the pagefile at shutdown, people delete it at shutdown to increase security, I believe that the pagepile is overwritten with 0s to start fresh. Doing this just increases the shutdown time.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 mnd1982

mnd1982
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

thank you nigglesnush85 for helping.I just wanne answers to following questions.
Will it (deleting page file) hamper the performance in any way? or will it make the system loose some important system files?When I will delete it do I have to create another page file.sys manually if yes how can I do it or the system will create it automatically? Is there any tool which can handle pagefile more easily i.e can clean it.

Edited by mnd1982, 23 February 2007 - 01:47 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

clearing the pagefile at shutdown will just wipe it clean ready for the next time the system is booted. it is important not to delete the pagefile while you are in windows. is right click and delete, as it is a system file and will likely crash the system.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314834
Regards,

Alan.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

Deleting the pagefile is also a tool that's used when there are memory problems. There's also a tutorial here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic71367.html#
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users