Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down By Itself.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GinaKnox

GinaKnox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hello,
I wondered if anyone could help me, as I'm at the end of my tether with my computer. Basically what is happening is, I'll get on my computer for about 20 minutes, if that. And when I'm in the middle of doing something, it turns itself off. I can usually tell it's going to happen because I hear it click off etc, then the screen goes off. When I try and get back on, I could be there for up to half an hour just trying to get onto my screen name. Most of the time, it turns off before I even get to the log on screen. But occasionally, I do get as far as logging in only for it to bleep up a few seconds later. It's very frustrating.

I have asked some people and they seem to think it's something to do with the computer over heating. I unscrewed the back of my computer and hoovered inside, to see if it'd help at all. But it's still doing it constantly. At first I thought it had something to do with web cams and you tube videos. But I think it's all coincidence.

I apologise if this has been posted before but I've looked allover the net and can't find anything.

Does anyone know what I could do to stop this please? Or have any idea of what it is?

Thanks alot.

Gina.
"Beethoven had his critics too, see if you can name 3 of them.''

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hello,

can you boot into safe mode (F8 at startup)?

it could be that the system encountered an error and shut windows down to protect itself. to stop it shutting down
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

can you boot into safe mode (F8 at startup)?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:49 PM

Don't use a vacuum inside your case. It'll generate static that could damage the system.

Today I cleaned out a PC that looked nice inside - until I blew out the CPU cooler. You can't imagine the amount of dust inside of it!!!

Also, check to see that the fan blowing onto the CPU is working.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 lrish_Fan

lrish_Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

hello this is my first post, i have a very similar problem. in my case i woke up 1 morning to my wife sitting at my computer, she said there was a weird message on the screen. she said it was a row of smileys and then a row of the alphabet. of course i figured virus and restart the computer. at first it wouldn't even reboot, it would come up apparently "loading the screen". Then all the sudden it would say Trap, a bunch of numbers and then general protection fault. i turned it off and let it be. i returned home to find it still off, i was able to log on to my computer,since i figured it was a virus i started a scan. halfway through i got a restart of the comp unexpectedly. instead of opening again it said Windows encountered a serious error and was restarted to protect files and a bunch of other stuff. if need i could copy the real error and put it up here word for word. at the bottom of this error screen it gave me 4 options. 1. safe mode boot 2. safe mode with network 3.last known usability and 4. start windows normally. i have been able to get on for 10-20 min periods until i get booted and have to do the same thing over and over, is this the same error? is this windows helping me or a virus tryin to screw me over. Thank You for your help :thumbsup:

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:04 AM

Sounds lika a virus to me, Can you get into safe mode? if you can try running some virus scans there, can you get to the control panel? if so open administrative tools and look in the event viewer look under the sub headings application system security, make a note and post the ones with exclamations or crosses by them.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users