Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dannie_*

Guest_dannie_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

Hello,
I enjoy the Forum. On two Forum sites of which I am a member, my log in details are rejected as an Error and I am taken back to the log in blank fields to begin the log in process over again.Thanks goodness it didn't happen with Bleeping Computers. I have contacted Admin on the Forums, and it is confirmed I am using the correct user name and password. They tell me the problem is my end. I have friends who are members and they log in no problem. This has only just happened to me. It is only on two Forums. They can log into using my details from their end.

My User Name and Pass Word are correct for the two sites.

I use the same URLs I have always used
I have even resorted to typing in the URLs

When I get to the site I click Refresh, just in case

I can get to the site, but when I type the user name and password (which is correct) the computer goes click click and I am taken back to blank log in fields again

My Browser is Internet Explorer 7 Version 7.05730.11. Have never had a problem with it.

I have not installed new programs since the last time I could log in

I have deleted cookies, stored passwords etc and Restarted computer

I run a paid for anti virus firewal and anti spam package

I manually run Adaware SE Personal, Sybot Search and Destroy and sometimes Ewido. I have no virus nor spyware on my computer according to scans

I run CCleaner. I disk clean, defrag and scan disk. Occassionally I run RegEscrub

Any suggestions? I'm stumped.
Thanks,
dannie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image to BC danny.
I assume that you in an earlier stage tried to log in with this version of IE?
Did the forum changed anything? Can you give us he links of these two forums?
You did not make any changes as far as accepting cookies over the past two weeks?Which safety package are you talking about? Which version of Java do you have?

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

Wonder if this is totally IE related?
Try downloading Firefox and see if you can log into the Forums on that browser.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

And presumably you remembered to activate via your e-mail message, if that was their system? If you forgot to fill in the e-mail, then , of course, you will have to start over.

#5 Guest_dannie_*

Guest_dannie_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image to BC danny.
I assume that you in an earlier stage tried to log in with this version of IE?
Did the forum changed anything? Can you give us he links of these two forums?
You did not make any changes as far as accepting cookies over the past two weeks?Which safety package are you talking about? Which version of Java do you have?

Fozzie,
When I clicked Quote to reply to your question I got the message Error Returned, Not Permission to reply to this Topic, Not Logged in, even though I had been logged in already. I logged in again, and was returned to this Reply page.

I am new to computers, which will be obvious to you, but I am capable of learning. Technically I know very little.

I have always logged in before with Internet Explorer 7. I've never had a problem with IE 7
The Forum didn't change anything
The two links are http://www3.griffith.edu.au/03/u3a/ and http://www.penfriends.com.au/webdate/
I haven't made any changes as far as accepting cookies , and I assume I would have had to go in and tick/untick boxes to do that. I haven't.
Safety package McAfee paid for anti virus firewall and anti spam. I have not had a problem with them
Which Version of Java? Fozzie I don't know how to access this info. Pls tell me,.
It's 4.20 am here, and this problem has kept me thinking and awake. I'll head off to bed soon , and check in when I surface.
Many thanks, dannie

#6 Guest_dannie_*

Guest_dannie_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

And presumably you remembered to activate via your e-mail message, if that was their system? If you forgot to fill in the e-mail, then , of course, you will have to start over.

Yes Uhaligani all was activated via email , and I have been logging in for almost a year now on these two sites.
Regards, dannie

#7 Guest_dannie_*

Guest_dannie_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hi TMack,
I like the anti-phishing on IE 7, I've had no problems, and I have been able to previously log into these two sites.
I am a member of other Forums and I am able to log in. I'm stumped, and being new to computers doesn't help.
thanks for your advice, dannie

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

One thought that occurs to me: are you blocking persistent cookies, perhaps through a third party security program? I know that if you block persistent cookies - one with an expiration date some distant time in the future - with BC, every time you open a new page the site will say that you are not logged in.

Another thought just occured to me: If you have set your privacy settings to custom in IE, have you checked the site list to make sure that you haven't blocked cookies, accidentally perhaps, from the sites you need to allow?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

Since Firefox and IE can co-exist together I would like yu to install Firefox on your system to see whether this relates to IE at all.

Also our Orange Blossom made a point there, whether you are blocking with any of your safety measures cookies?

Alternatively you can again try to log in and if it refuses again, go to START RUN type evntvwr and look for the red crosses in any of the 3 sections you see there and post them here.

As far as Java is concerned please go to CONTROL PANEL Add/Remove Programs and look for entries with Java and post what you see here.

Sorry to see it has kept you awake...

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

Have already tried that route.....

QUOTE(TMacK @ Feb 23 2007, 12:31 PM) *

Hi TMack,
I like the anti-phishing on IE 7, I've had no problems, and I have been able to previously log into these two sites.
I am a member of other Forums and I am able to log in. I'm stumped, and being new to computers doesn't help.
thanks for your advice, dannie

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 Guest_dannie_*

Guest_dannie_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

One thought that occurs to me: are you blocking persistent cookies, perhaps through a third party security program? I know that if you block persistent cookies - one with an expiration date some distant time in the future - with BC, every time you open a new page the site will say that you are not logged in.

Another thought just occured to me: If you have set your privacy settings to custom in IE, have you checked the site list to make sure that you haven't blocked cookies, accidentally perhaps, from the sites you need to allow?

Thanks Orange Blossom.
As I am new to computers, I will ask a lot of questions, despite my embarrassment. I hope this Topic will help someone is a similar situation, I'll take comfort from that thought.
Being "a babe in the woods", I may send you back too much information, but bear with me on this one please. Step by Step instructions are good for me at this stage.

Am I blocking persistent cookies........I've never looked into cookies, as I have had no problems surfing around. I do delete them when I run cCleaner, they've all been level 3, and have had no problems with that.

Third Party security program.........can you tell me how I can check that? I've just let McAfee anti virus anti spy and firewall run away, with no problems at all. I don't know how to check that out.

Cookies...One with expiration date .......Above my head Orange Blossom. pls tell me how to check this one out too.

If you have set your privacy settings to Custom in IE............ I've never gone there. I just gingerly peeped
and:
Tools>Options>Privacy Tab - Settings for Internet Zone is High
Pop-Up Blocker - box is ticked, Turn on pop-up blocker) and I have never had a problem here. I have one site I have just allowed access by clicking Temporarily Allow Access on the IE Tool bar. This is fine.
s
Tools>Options>Settings - Custom Settings. I see two buttons Custom and Default. Neither is greyed out, so I have no idea what I am on there. I noticed the Reset All Zones to Default, but I am not game to click anything until I check back with you.

What's my next move?
Many thanks,
dannie

#12 Guest_dannie_*

Guest_dannie_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:50 PM

[quote]QUOTE(TMacK @ Feb 23 2007, 12:31 PM) *

Hi TMack,
thanks for your advice, dannie[/quote]
[/quote]

Have already tried that route..... TMack. I'm a green one here, was this remark addressed to me or were you responding to Orange Blossom. Sorry, to bug you.
dannie

#13 Guest_dannie_*

Guest_dannie_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Since Firefox and IE can co-exist together I would like yu to install Firefox on your system to see whether this relates to IE at all.

Alternatively you can again try to log in and if it refuses again, go to START RUN type evntvwr and look for the red crosses in any of the 3 sections you see there and post them here.

As far as Java is concerned please go to CONTROL PANEL Add/Remove Programs and look for entries with Java and post what you see here.

Sorry to see it has kept you awake...

:thumbsup: Fozzie,
Here I am again. Came straight to the computer. Haven't eaten yet, wanted to reply to you good people first. I have explained I am "green" as far as computers go, but hope my experience helps another member in the future. I will work through your reply:

Since Firefox and IE can co-exist together I would like yu to install Firefox on your system to see whether this relates to IE at all............... I thought I would wait for Orange Blossom to respond to my post back to her.

Altrnatively... go to Start Run. Thank goodness I can do this.
Did it, but got the message back saying Windows cannot find evntvwr. Make sure typing is correct. Which I did, and it was correct, and I also copied your text into the Run field, but still got the same message back.
No results there. What's next?

As far as Java is concerned......... I went to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, I looked at the Currently Installed Programs and Updates list, but couldn't see the word Java in the entries. Is this right?

Bear with me, I know very little about the technical side. I must go and eat now Fozzie. Thanks so much to you and other members.

What's the next move?
Regards,
dannie (Australia)

#14 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

It is possible that Microsoft JVM is still present on your computer.Check this as following: Start -- Run and type cmd. In the blac window type jview and ENTER. If Microsft JVM is present you will get version notification. If not present you wil get an error.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hi dannie:

Let's see if I address everything here.

Cookie control in IE7: Click on Tools --> Internet Options --> Privacy tab. About halfway down you will see 4 buttons: Sites, Import, Advanced, and Default. Okay, if you have altered the cookie settings from the default, above those buttons you will see in bold face the word Custom. Mine says that because I use advanced settings. It is also possible that one of your security programs has also altered it by putting a list of blocked sites in the site list. Spybot and SpywareBlaster both do this keeping me from being pestered by prompts about most tracking cookies. I don't know about McAfee because I don't use that program.

Tools>Options>Privacy Tab - Settings for Internet Zone is High
Pop-Up Blocker - box is ticked, Turn on pop-up blocker) and I have never had a problem here.

I think you've misidentified the tab here. "Internet Zone" is on the Security tab second from the left. The Privacy tab is third from the left.

Now my advanced settings are these: Click on the Advanced button, then put a check by Override automatic cookie handling. Under Third Party Cookies, put a green dot in the circle by Block by clicking on the circle. In my experience, this has never caused any problems in surfing. Under First Party Cookies I put a green dot in the circle by Prompt. If you wish, you may put a check mark by Always allow session cookies, which will reduce the number of prompts you get. I don't do that as I block all cookies excepting those I absolutely have to have. Click the Okay button when you have the settings as you want.

Now, when you get a cookie prompt, you will see a button that says More information. Click on that, and you will find out whether it is a session cookie or has an expiration date far into the future. Note: if you have chosen to place a check by Always allow session cookies, I suspect that all your prompts will be for persistent cookies. Google tends to have expiration dates at least a decade into the future if my memory serves me correctly. These cookies are called persistent cookies. BleepingComputer uses persistent cookies. You may choose to accept or block the cookie, and you also have the option to have IE remember the decision. Pardon my lack of specific wording about the prompts, but I usually use Firefox; additionally my firewall is set to block all cookies unless I tell it to allow them.

Now when you have IE remember the decision, that site will be added to the sites list. I think it would be a good idea for you to explore this list to see 1) if you have anything there either added by yourself or by your security programs and 2) to see if the sites you are having problems with have been added to the Block list. To do this click on the Sites button on the Privacy tab. A new little window will open up. Halfway down, you will see Managed Sites and underneath that two columns: Domain and Setting. If you click on Domain, the sites will arrange themselves in alphabetical order, either A-Z or Z-A depending. If you want it the other way, just click on it again. If you click on Setting, the sites will arrange by Block and Allow. Either Block will show up first, or Allow will be on top. Click on Setting again to reverse it. Organize it however you wish. Here is where you can see if the sites you need access to have had their cookies blocked. If so, click on the site name and either click on the Remove button or click on the Allow button. You will find these buttons on the right hand side. You can also reverse the settings for allowed sites to blocked if you need to.
-----------
As for 3rd party software blocking cookies, first I need to know what security programs you have installed. Let's see, your McAfee is a security suite: firewall, AV and AntiSpyware? What other security programs have you installed? Do you have any add-ons to your browser? If so, what are they? It might be that one of those has cookie control powers.

I use the Kerio Personal Firewall, paid version which allows me to block JavaScripts, Ads, Popups, Cookies - categorized by 3rd party, persistent, and session, VB scripts (I don't know what those are.), Active X and other stuff. You can see what other security programs I use in my signature.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users