Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo File Conversion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

I have quit a number of family photos that I got from a nephew that I was hoping to post to my Yahoo! photos. However, they are all "Microsoft Office Image Document Files" and not the standard jepg photo files that Yahoo! photos will only except.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows what conversion programs there are out there that I can use to convert these files to jepg files so that I can post them? Do I already have something with Windows XP, Logetech Camera, Adobe, ABBY, LexMark, any of these programs that I already have? Does Nero have a conversion program?

Do I want to convert these photo files, will anything be lost in doing this?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 23 February 2007 - 10:48 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

Adobe will do what you need. I'm sure that some of the other programs that you listed will do it too, but I single out Adobe becuase I use Photoshop everyday :flowers:

As for converting them, simply open them, then click File>save as then select .jpg (or .jpeg or whatever). You can then select your quality, saving for web at about a medium setting is good for viewing on a monitor without loss of quality. Saving them too low a setting will cause noticable loss of quality.

When you save them as a .jpg, it'll be "converted" and also leave your original file intact (your "Microsoft Office Image Document Files" will still be on your computer).

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

:thumbsup: Yippie Ioa Kiya, Funtastic, great just what the doc ordered!

I had no idea.

Now if it would let you convert a large number of them all at once without having to go through them individually that would even make more sense.

But thank you none the less.

John :flowers:

Edited by Johnz414, 23 February 2007 - 01:02 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

What version of Adobe do you have? If you have Adobe Photoshop 5.0 and up, you can create an action that will allow you to automatically open up files and save them to a different folder just by pushing a button. I've done it before, and it works great, although it takes a few minutes to get set up (maybe 2-5 minutes at best!).

I don't believe (but not 100% positive either!) that Elements has this feature.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Hi,

I'm using Adobe 8.0 but it didn't include a Photo Shop with it. $149.00 for what Adobe offers is a little steep for me.

I just used Microsoft Paint 5.1 to get the job done. With Paint 5.1 you can move many files between folders easily enough. The idea was to be able to convert many files all at once between file types and not have to convert them individually.

But I got the job done, I only had 105 photos to convert a small amount by professional standards I'm sure.

Anyhow, I'll be able to upload them to Yahoo! photos now that I've converted them to jepg files.

John :thumbsup:
John

Albert Einstein.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

IrfanView, a free photo editor application, has a batch conversion module among its many useful features.
http://www.irfanview.com/
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users