Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iviv

iviv

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:25 AM

Last month, I self-built my first PC from scratch. Everything worked except the belkin wireless PCI card. It appeared in the device manager under
Other devices > Unknown device.
I tried various things, installing the latest drivers, changing the PCI slot, but nothing worked. So I thought 'stuff it' and not have a 5m ethernet cable trailing across the middle of my room.

This morning, the soundcard I ordered arrived. Its a soundblaster X-Fi. I followed the instructions, removing the on-board sound drivers, shutting down and inserting the card. Turn on, and windows has detected new hardware. Following the instructions, I cancel this and try to run the install CD. Unfortunately, the CD drive isn't showing in my computer.
I shut down, wiggle the IDE cable around, and boot up, and it works. Install everything from the CD, and reboot when it asks. But when I rebooted, I still got the 'windows has detected new hardware' message. I can see all the drivers installed, but going into device manager, there in other devices is:
Other devices > Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

I tried right clicking and searching for drivers, but it can't find anything. Strangely, the belkin had dissapeared completely from the list.

So, is it just a duff mobo, or do I need to turn something on in the BIOS, or something? Help!

Specs:
Asus P5B motherboard
E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz (Overclocked to 2.7Ghz)
2Gb DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz ram
512Mb Ati Radeon X1900XT
Soundblaster X-fi
Windows XP SP2

Edited by iviv, 23 February 2007 - 09:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

Did you install the motherboard drivers?

#3 iviv

iviv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, I have all the latest drivers for everything running.

Forget to mention that I'm using XP SP2 *edits*

EDIT: Problem fixed. Had to disable the on-board sound from the BIOS >_>

Edited by iviv, 23 February 2007 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users