Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Update Checker

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SLTtrucker

SLTtrucker

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

My Zone Alarm firewall alerted me with the following msg: java update checker needs to connect to internet. Being pretty much a neophyte at computing I'm not sure if this is a legitimate operation. I have Win XP Media Center 2005 Edition & am using Firefox as my browser. I pretty much am following all the security suggestions I have read about on this site. Am I being too paranoid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

You are never too paranoid when it comes to applications without you knowing connect to the internet. The Java update checker is an application which keeps your Java software updated and therefor is legitimate. If your PC is running ok you can leave it on

#3 SLTtrucker

SLTtrucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:33 AM

Thanks fozzie for the quick reply. The next time it asks for access Ill allow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users