Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"my Documents" Plus Others Will Not Open....frustrating...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:38 AM

Hello to all.
I own a windows xp home edition computer(its a presario).I have had it for a year and 2 months now.I had no problems until about 2 weeks ago,when "my documents" "my computer" "my pictures" etc as well as my desktop icons,control panel and various other files will not open.
I all started happening when I downloaded 1 of 3 things.
The first 2 was an anti-adware and anti virus software called "AVG ANTI-VIRUS" and "AVG Anti-Adware".

The 3rd,which I beleive to be the problem,is that I downloaded "kazaa".I later found out the kazaa downloads alot of crap on your computer,and I beleive it to be the cause of my problem.I have since deleted "kazaa" off my computer,I also downloaded a software called "kazaabegone" which deletes various things that are downloaded on your computer w/ kazaa.

And while the kazaa begone did fine a bunch of stuff on my computer that I was able to delelte,it did not help my problem.I also tried deleting the antivirus software and anti-adware software,and it did not help either.

Besides that I have did a couple computer checks per instructions from Hp support represanatives.
On one a few "non serious" things were found,mostly cookies,but I deleted them,and it did not help.

Yesterday,I was able to do a successfull "system restore" to the day before I downloaded kazaa,and my documents opened right up no problem.However my aol would not open.After than I restored back to the present date,in order to use aol.However today,I was unable to restore to any date,for some reason.

.........................................................................................................................................
I dont know what to do?After try various things with the HP Represenatives,I was told to try a non destructive recovery to see if it helps,and then if not a destructive recovery.
I have backed up my documents the best I could,but I wanted to know if there is anything I can do before I try non destructive recovery,that may work.

Has anyone had this problem before?
Is there a software that can find all virus,malware etc that can solve my problem.

For the record,I am able to open "my documents" in safe mode,but AOL dial up cant find a dial tone when I am in safe mode.I just want to fix the problem and be done with it.

If anyone can help,please do.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:57 AM

First try running the system file checker.

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

If that doesn't work try a repair install.

Perform a Repair Installation
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:11 AM

Thanks for the reply BudaPest.

The first option you gave me,I used SFC / SCANNOW .I remember doing this once before a few days ago per the instructions of HP Support.After the scan is complete,the progress bar dissappears,and nothing happens.I didnt get any messages,good or bad,so I guess everything was okay.However it did not fix the problem.

The only thing about the Disc repair is that I do not beleive I was given a disk for Windows with my computer.I could be wrong,but I dont remember one,and I have kept the majority of the things that came with my computer "Just in case".
If you can further help me out with the disc repair,or any other option,I would truly appreciate it.
Thanks again.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:23 AM

Your computer should have a recovery partition on it. Using this will restore your computer back to it's "factory" state. This is a destructive restore - but you have already backed-up all your data so that shouldn't be a problem. Have a look through your documentation to find out how to use the recovery partition to do a restore.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

It's likely that downloading with the Kazaa there was some malware installed on your system.

The first thing to try would be a scan for malware. Try this free scan: http://safety.live.com/

Today I found the first infected PC that I couldn't clean. I tried everything except for slaving the drive to a good system for a scan - and still the viruses remained. We finally resorted to a backup and clean install to get the machine back to the owner.

Edited by usasma, 23 February 2007 - 07:36 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I did malware searches,computer checkups,virus searches,and never could find the problem.
I finally just said heck with it and did a non destructive system recovery.
"my documents" are opening now,however all my files are gone,as exspected.

As of now,everythings good,so thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users