Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Get Rid Of Hp Printer's Massive Software Invasion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marlajm

marlajm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

I uninstalled my all-in-one and the HP I had before that but there is still HP software EVERYWHERE!!! In fact, it was so aggressive it wouldn't let me use my new laser printer, kept putting itself as the default, wanting me to update again and again....which I learned not to do because it would render my new laser printer useless until I uninstalled the HP. So I abandoned it altogether. But the software remains.

There is a folder in My documents, of all places, but deleting it will not take away the 100's of entries lurking in the registry and startup.

I don't fully understand but it acts like malware, the HP software, used a wrapper or something and it is all over the registry, the start menu, everything.

Many thanks.

Edited by marlajm, 22 February 2007 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Hello and :thumbsup: to BC

I will be helping you, before we get started check this link to see if it can help you in anyway http://tinyurl.com/2h3v2h

****READ THROUGH IT AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY****

If this link does not help you just make another post.
ROOTKITS BAD!

#3 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

I have a HP Photosmart 3310 allinone. That post was for a Scanjet. Since the site was in Polish I couldn't quite navigate to a more appropriate location. HP software is everywhere. It is almost like malware there are so many locations.

Also, I cannot just go to remove it from a list because I already did that; it didn't remove all the software at all.

Thanks again

#4 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

Ok, sorry for the link being in a different language (must of been the wrong link) well anyways this link should help http://tinyurl.com/7xsrp

Just download the program and then run it, it should uninstall all the software, if it asks you if you want to reinstall just select no (IF IT ASKS YOU)

If you are still having problems just make a new post and we will get into the problem a little more serioulsy.

Good luck and please don't end up doing this :thumbsup: WE ARE HERE TO HELP!!!

Edited by zemoman, 23 February 2007 - 02:24 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

What kind of computer do you have marlajm? The reason I ask is that if you don't have an HP machine, then you can go into the control panel>add and remove programs and uninstall anything and everything that deals with an HP product. All to often, when users install programs for printers, scanners etc., the program also installs other "features" that tend to take over the computer. It keeps reseting itself to the default printer so that users will continue to use the HP product, thus having to buy more HP supplies (ok, so that's opinionated :huh: ). Point being is that you might have more than one program that's related to that particular all in one, so you'll have to uninstall all of the programs that were put on there (1 program for the printer, one for the scanner, one for the fax, one for the printer ink management, one for.....you get the idea!).

So, uninstall everything that's HP related to your all in one and restart, then let us know how it works and we'll go from there. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:00 AM

I will try these fixes shortly. I was told in the I am infected forum that I shouldn't be trying to change anything at all until that problem is taken care of. I don't have an HP, a Dell. I have been getting help at another forum but am at a standstill. I definately have something but no engine is detecting it so far.

Thanks so much,
Marla

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

My recommendation is to submit a HJT log on these forums if you believe you are infected. You can submit a log HERE. Simply follow the instructions and go from there. You'll find that our HJT team is top notch and you'll be back up and running in no time flat. :huh:

The only catch here is that if you're getting help at another forum, you need to either finish up there then start here, or stop receiving help at the other site and start getting help here. Getting help on 2 forums can change the HJT log and basically "mess things up" for whomever is looking at your log.

Either way, you can post back and let us know how you made out with this. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

I can't uninstall Image Zone Express....evidently my daughter installed her camera software on here so that is the part that is remaining difficult to get rid of. I contact HP and they told me to use Uninstall Dummy. Is that OK to use. I want to get some of this stuff off of here and see where I am at.

I have been trying to get help at a different forum but we are at a standstill I think. So, I think I will begin to pursue some other options.

Marla

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

I don't think that uninstall dummy will work. From what I've read on it, it states that it'll just remove programs from "add&remove programs" list (like remove programs that have already been removed but still show up in add and remove programs) which you can do by editing the registry for free.

Did you run the utility per the instructions as zemoman had suggested? It states that it's for HP all-in-one software, so it may work for you (it's worth a shot :thumbsup: ).

Also, if you still feel that you are infected, have you tried the things that I linked you too? There's also a list of malware removal tools (all free) located on these forums HERE. Feel free to download some and run them to help clean up your computer (I'd recommend downloading and running SuperAntiSpyware first, then download and running Spybot - Search & Destroy *be sure to read the tutorial on Spybot first*). I'd still recommend submitting a HJT log as I had suggested earlier, as they might also be able to help you get rid of that nasty HP software if you mention it!(no guarantees though!) :huh:

To remove Image Zone Express, read this topic HERE (directly from HP). Read through it all, as there's a program that you can download (that didn't help anyone on that topic, but may work for you), and there's some more advice further down that seemed to work for everyone! Hopefully this will remove the Image Zone Express from your machine.

EDIT: You can also try booting into safe mode and removing them via add and remove programs. This way, they won't have a chance to load, so they *may* uninstall if they're not running.

Edited by stevealmighty, 26 February 2007 - 10:02 PM.

Posted Image

#10 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:12 PM

Sorry I haven't gotten back. Yes, uninstalldummy is what HP support told me to use! I had to go ahead and reinstall my all-in-one because I had a work project. I must say while installing I got a malicious script warning which I denied. It also repeatedly wanted to do a full installation, which I rejected and it installed itself on the startup bar which I used msconfig to stop.

It locked up last night when I was trying to print some graphics intensive stuff.

ONe more question: does HP need to be on the run_registry, set to start up when the computer does? Under MSconfig it shows as a program file but on the registry it is in the Run_ category rather than the regular run category....where someother suspect software has been and is.

Thanks

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

where someother suspect software has been and is.

If you've got malware on your computer, that might be causing some of the problem. Try to get that removed if you can. Should you need help, try posting HERE.

As for having the HP software start when windows starts, it's not uncommon for printer software to do this, specially a name brand like HP or Dell. HP will tell you that it does this so that you can use the printer's features and to easily access the software, features etc. etc. You can disable it at startup via MSCONFIG, and it shouldn't hurt anything. I've disabled a good many printer programs this way with no ill effects. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#12 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:11 AM

Thanks all. I am in the middle of a project but will try the uninstall tool. I do think the HP software allows for adware.

I already have SAS and spybot and adaware and CCleaner, McAffee, Zone Alarm, I came to the boards. Spybot, SAS, and Adaware never find anything anymore. I have to go online to MAV or CCleaner to get a glimpse of what is going on.

Funny, I go to the start up list section of Bleeping Computer, look up the files on your lists; there are bad files in just the places that are mentioned but none of the scans are picking them up. Maybe they are vestiges or maybe they are new. Who knows.
Marla

Edited by marlajm, 08 March 2007 - 01:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users