Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tough Americans

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica - A tour group of U.S. senior citizens fought off a group of muggers in Costa Rica, killing one of the assailants, police said Thursday.

The tourists’ bus was held up by three men armed with a gun and knife in the Caribbean coastal town of Limon after the group arrived on a cruise ship Wednesday, said Limon police chief Luis Hernandez.

Hernandez said a retired U.S. serviceman whom officials estimated was in his 70s put one of the attackers — aged 20 — in a headlock and broke his clavicle.

After the other two assailants fled, the tourists drove the injured man to the local Red Cross branch where he was declared dead.

Authorities said they did not plan to file charges against the tourists, who left on their cruise ship after the incident. Hernandez declined to give their names or hometowns.

“They were in their right to defend themselves after being held up,” he said.

I know it ain't right, but this made me laugh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

It may not be 'funny', but the silly twit sort of got what he deserved. Perhaps not death - eep - but carry a gun and knife and threaten people and one isn't going to give you a lolly-pop, especially if one of the the people you're threatening happens to be a retired US Serviceman.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

Gramps still has it!

GO grandpa! Go Grandpa!

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 22 February 2007 - 11:44 PM.

#4 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

What can I say? No comments!!! :thumbsup:
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

Goo --Rah Granpa.. maybe a tourist is a bit safer now. Way to go.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

Goo --Rah Granpa.. maybe a tourist is a bit safer now. Way to go.

While I think he was brave,he took a big risk IMHO.
We have had a number of "Goo-Rah" dead Grandpas here,and It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged.
The last case about a Month ago,resulted in the Old Man being pushed into oncoming Traffic,resulting in his death.
He was trying to break up a fight on the Footpath.

Edited by DSTM, 23 February 2007 - 02:54 PM.

#7 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

personally i think this is a fantastic story. :thumbsup: if you can't fight for what you believe in, what is the point in living. sure the old guy may have died, but at least he wouold have went out like a soldier.

this is proof that we have a lot to learn from the older generations. integrity, honor, and strength. most of my generation would have wet themselves and given everything they had, just to have their lives spared IMHO. what life is worth living if you have no honor?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

personally i think this is a fantastic story. :thumbsup: if you can't fight for what you believe in, what is the point in living. sure the old guy may have died, but at least he wouold have went out like a soldier.

this is proof that we have a lot to learn from the older generations. integrity, honor, and strength. most of my generation would have wet themselves and given everything they had, just to have their lives spared IMHO. what life is worth living if you have no honor?

We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.
Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

While I think he was brave,he took a big risk IMHO.
We have had a number of "Goo-Rah" dead Grandpas here,and It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged.
The last case about a Month ago,resulted in the Old Man being pushed into oncoming Traffic,resulting in his death.
He was trying to break up a fight on the Footpath.

I'm proud of that guy. He stood up for himself and friends. I like friends like that. Besides he wasn't jumping in.. he was defending himself. I am like him,for better or worse. Not a hero,not better than the next guy. I just don't give up. I don't recommend jumping in,tho I have,especially for seniors. He knew what he could try and did as the situation gave him. That's why he gets the goo rah.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.

lol, that is a very true statement. but doesn't being the recipient of the clap sound so much more inviting? :thumbsup:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

lol, that is a very true statement. but doesn't being the recipient of the clap sound so much more inviting? :thumbsup:

LOL Wouldn't hear it if I was in a Hearse on the way to the Cemetry.

#12 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

LOL :thumbsup: i think you misunderestimate yourself DSTM.

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

LOL :thumbsup: i think you misunderestimate yourself DSTM.

I'll explain myself.If someone needed help,I would be the first to help.I would put my own safety last.
Would I go into a burning house to save someone,Yes, if there was half a chance,I would survive.
Would I go into a raging inferno,knowing there is no chance of me surviving?No, I'd be a fool.

EDIT.As far as saving my family,I wouldn't think twice,regardless of the risk.
Whatever will be,will be.

Edited by DSTM, 24 February 2007 - 05:16 AM.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

Goo-rah

"If you don't stand up for yourself, no one will do it for you." Unknown (I remember the phrases but not the people)

Posted Image

#15 Preying to the Comp Gods

Preying to the Comp Gods

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

hilarious...
i wonder was this guy ever in the WWF
Kick the computer

it's fun