Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Install Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pitrevie

pitrevie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:53 PM

My brother who lives several thousand miles away from me is re-installing Windows XP Home on his desktop. I have been trying to advise him how to do this with with little success so far. I use XP Professional so I assumed that it would be much the same. He gets to the point where having deleted the old partition and created a new one the only option he gets is a quick format which lasts a couple of seconds. The disk he is using is the recovery disk that came with his machine. I have tried to get him to run the recovery console from the CD and then format but it appears that even that isnt available. I have several questions, is there something about XP Home that doesnt allow you to do a full format when you are using the recovery disk to reinstall? Is the recovery console not available to be run from an XP Home CD and lastly will he be able to use the old serial number for XP Home which he has been taped to the top of his computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think the problem is that he is using a recovery disk. What he would need for a full reinstallation is an installation disk. The two are different, though I don't know in what ways.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

The only difference between a full format and a quick format is that the partition is scanned for bad sectors using the chkdsk command. Both methods remove all the files from the partition.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

What is the make and model of the system. This will help us to figure out the easiest way for you to coach him through this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users