Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Gives Desktop Linux Its "full Attention"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

In an attempt to boost its sagging fortunes, Dell, one of the leading PC makers in America, recently launched the Dell Idea Storm website to solicit ideas on how to get Dell back to the top. The most popular idea so far? Desktops with pre-installed Linux.

...Specifically, users wanted the top-three free Linuxes -- Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE -- offered as selections for the Dell desktop. The Linux option was almost twice as popular as the next option. That next option was, by the way, to have OpenOffice pre-installed instead of Microsoft Works or a trial version of Microsoft Office.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8382062536.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

I like both Ideas, I think Dell is a cheap-o company, and they make their parts out of plastic, but openOffice, I've never tried, and want to, and I have heard wonders of Linux and such.

Edited by JoshT, 27 February 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#3 tacm

tacm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:34 AM

I am a recent convert.....that said, what Ive learned over the last few months leads me to believe if operating systems continue to evolve versus going strictly to web based systems Linux and particularly the Ubuntu project will give windoze a serious run for its money in the coming years. Ubuntu is almost plug and play, and most of the time it "just works" anyone who is contemplating a change this is the distro to use, and the time is finally right. Its posts like this Dell one that have convinced me. Sorry for the hijack. Steve
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, Is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

I think that people will start switching to linux soon. My friend bought a computer for christmas with XP and got the free Vista Upgrade and hated it ruined his whole computer. I told him about linux and he has tried it and out loves it. Ubuntu is amazing for a beginer user I just switch the GUI because I am not too fond of Gnome. I recently bought Xandros and I love it. It is the only linux distro I have ever bought and ever will buy. A really good free live distro that can be installed to the HD is PClinuxOS. THat is what alot of my friends are switching over to. Our school just switched 50 of the 213 computers to PCLOS and we haven't had any problems just use wine and have all of the windows apps that we need running on it. I think that the time for Linux is comming though. People are starting to realize that MS has been scammming people.

Good job for Dell if they follow through with this. I might buy one just so that I can get a laptop with linux pre-installed beats looking for wireless card adapters.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

I'm not a big fan of Dell,( Duuuude, you're getting a penguin in your Dell :flowers: ) for several reasons , but having them "Do Linux" should be a huge boost, and maybe make the "others" think about the same. tried Ubuntu about a year ago (for all of 20-30 min. :thumbsup:) and didn't like the way it looked or something ,may have been the Gnome ? maybe I'll try Kubuntu sooner or later .

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

no one try PClinuxOS. I do not have the link off had but search for it at http://www.google.com/linux

-Steve

#7 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

I've got it already :thumbsup: ( pclinuxos-p93a-junior.iso ), but my burnner won't burn (I hate when that happens)

Posted Image

#8 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:27 PM

oh that sucks... hope you get it working soon :thumbsup:

-Steve

#9 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

Most of my Linux "shopping" comes from
http://distrowatch.com/ or
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users