Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans Not Spinning/lighting Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

My friend is building a computer, which I helped him pick out most of the parts. So far he has ordered the case and the motherboard. He hooked everything up and the only thing that lights up is the little green light on the front of the case. Then he tried hooking up a monitor thinking it would take him to the bios (shouldn't it?) and the screen showed no connection. He has no other parts to put in it to try. So anyone have an idea of what might be the problem. Could it be that hes using the cheap power supply that came with the case? Thanks for reading this!

Edit: I should add he now lives in North Carolina, and I live in New York, so our only communication is internet or phone.

Edited by Sterling14, 22 February 2007 - 04:25 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:30 PM

Hello,

A friend of mine had a similar problem, he said he hadn't earthed it. something about not screwing it the motherboard correctly.

Hope this sheds some light
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

If he doesn't have a processor on the motherboard he won't see anything.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

So would there not being a processor make it so they won't light up/spin? Theres 3 fans in the case.

Also, he said theres a foamy thing under the motherboard to support it during shipping. He left it on when screwing it onto the case. Is that ok?

Edited by Sterling14, 22 February 2007 - 05:07 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

So would there not being a processor make it so they won't light up/spin? Theres 3 fans in the case.

Also, he said theres a foamy thing under the motherboard to support it during shipping. He left it on when screwing it onto the case. Is that ok?

Take the foam out and place the standoffs in their correct locations and screw it down snug (Do not overtighten). Read the manual!!! The motherboard will not put out any signals without a processor.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

Ya I told my friend to read the manual, and I really doubt he did.... He's going to have to though and if he needs any other help I can't figure out, I'm going to be bothering everyone here on BC :thumbsup: . Be prepared for the worst!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users