Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 erret

erret

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

my uncle bought a used computer for a litttle bit of nothing about 2 days ago and wanted to me to try to fix anything that is wrong with it. really for what he is going to use it for (playing cards) its fine, but theres still a couple problems i hope you guys can help me with.

1. sometimes while starting the system up, it automatically reboots itself while loading all of the programs. it's only done this when first starting up, if all the programs get completely loaded its fine.

2. sometimes after u turn the computer on, the monitor doesnt read that the computer has been turned on...says check connetions or something to that effect. its hooked through an old radeon 9250 graphics card so im guessing that the card could be bad? when it does this, you usually have to restart the computer 3-4 times before the monitor finally recieves the signal from the pc.

3. if you stay on the computer for more than just a few minutes, it takes ages for the shutdown menu to pop up. just so i know im being clear, by shut down menu i mean when you hit start --> turn off computer, the menu the pops up and asks you to shut down, restart, etc.

4. just to be on the safeside, what can i do to make sure theres nothing on this hard drive thats not supposed to be there, i.e. illegal files, etc. people are wierd, and i dont really trust somebody that i dont know.

thats all ive got for now, any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hello

try booting up in safe mode, press F8 as the system boots up. run a couple of virus scans. reboot it when done, if you have the xp cd, go to start then run and type sfc /scannow that will check to see if the critical files are ok.

regarding the graphics, unplug the PC and open up the case, just make sure that the card is inserted correctly. then download the latest drivers for the card.

Download and install this program to help find and fix windows problems http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html

regarding checking to see if everything is genuine, download a program called win audit http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm let it compile a list of software you have. then go through each piece of software finding out who it is registered to.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

my uncle bought a used computer for a litttle bit of nothing about 2 days ago and wanted to me to try to fix anything that is wrong with it. really for what he is going to use it for (playing cards) its fine, but theres still a couple problems i hope you guys can help me with.

1. sometimes while starting the system up, it automatically reboots itself while loading all of the programs. it's only done this when first starting up, if all the programs get completely loaded its fine.

The computer probably has too many programs that are set to run at Startup (Icons usually near the clock). You can see these programs by going to Start > Run and type msconfig then press the key. They are listed in the Startup tab. Search here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ to see if they can be disabled. I use this program: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml to stop them from running at Startup.

2. sometimes after u turn the computer on, the monitor doesnt read that the computer has been turned on...says check connetions or something to that effect. its hooked through an old radeon 9250 graphics card so im guessing that the card could be bad? when it does this, you usually have to restart the computer 3-4 times before the monitor finally recieves the signal from the pc.

Turn the computer off and unplug it. Open the case and pull the graphics card. Use a clean pencil eraser to clean the contact area of the card then blow any residue off and reseat the card.

3. if you stay on the computer for more than just a few minutes, it takes ages for the shutdown menu to pop up. just so i know im being clear, by shut down menu i mean when you hit start --> turn off computer, the menu the pops up and asks you to shut down, restart, etc.

You will probably need to clean the computer up and defrag. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System tools and run Disk Cleanup. When that is done open My Computer and right click on the hard drive that the operating system is installed on. Click the Tools tab then click the Check Now button under Error-checking. Check the box for Automatically fix file system errors then click the Start button. You will receive a warning window that it cannot be run unless the computer is rebooted. Click Yes and restart the computer through Start > Turn off computer... Let the Disk Check run until completion. When done and you are back to your desktop restart the computer again and start tapping F8 to boot into Safe Mode. Defrag the hard drive in Safe Mode. Don't stop it even though it may take awhile.

4. just to be on the safeside, what can i do to make sure theres nothing on this hard drive thats not supposed to be there, i.e. illegal files, etc. people are wierd, and i dont really trust somebody that i dont know.

Download and install AdAware, SpyBot S&D, AVG Anti-Spyware plus run some of the online scanners. Read the tutorials from this site to set the programs up. The link below provides the needed information for these programs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

More reading here: Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 22 February 2007 - 04:34 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 erret

erret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

a couple of updates....

1st disk cleanup basically refuses to work, so i used ccleaner with hopes it would do similar.

2nd the computer refuses to reboot in safe mode. when it gets to the screen askin me to log in as administrator or hp owner, it reboots itself everytime.

3rd im not sure if i was 100% clear on the files i want to make sure dont exist. viruses i can deal with for the most part, what i want to make sure is not on this harddrive are sexual images, things of that nature, that he wouldnt want his grandkids to slip up on. i dont know if there are any, but if so we need them gone.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

If it is an HP use the recovery feature or disks to restore the OS to original.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 22 February 2007 - 06:10 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 erret

erret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

thanks for the help guys...all of the problems seem to be fixed except 1...the computer still shuts down amazingly slow, probably 5 minutes just to get the shutdown options, minimum.

plus i suspect there may be a bad com port...how can i test it?

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:41 PM

try using this tool to speed things up.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Regards,

Alan.

#8 erret

erret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:28 AM

still nothing

when i go to start >> turn off computer it takes around 5 minutes at the very minimum for the shutdown options to appear. anybody know what the problem is?

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:29 AM

Do you have the windows disk? is so, click start run then type sfc /scannow this will check windows and fix problems. Also, when was the system last defragged?
Regards,

Alan.

#10 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:54 AM

Alternavily run Microsoft Online's Test (IE required). Shutting down this slow can, a.o., mean that a lot of services have to shut down on your computer. If the online test does not result in any significant results we have to take another "yellow brick road " We take it from as you have posted the results from this test.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

I just read an article about shutdown permissions that mentioned that XP will wait 3 minutes before shutting down if an app doesn't give permission when requested.

I'd suggest TaskManager or ProcessExplorer to see what's hanging up on shutdown. Alternatively, you can use PSService utility from SysInternals (free) to see which services ask for pre-shutdown notification.

EDIT: Just reread the article, and the 3 minute thing (along with pre-shutdown notification) applies to Vista and not XP.

Edited by usasma, 26 February 2007 - 09:17 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 erret

erret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

thanks for the replys guys...been busy but ill try these programs and let u know the results soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users