Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Flash Plugin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cavepunk

cavepunk

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hi there!

Wonder if you guys can help me? My system runs XP Service pack 2 and - when trying to install the Flash plugin - I received a message prompting me to "rerun this installation from an administrators account". After a quick web search I thought I'd found what I'm looking for: typed in regedt32 and navigated to HKEY-LOCAL MACHINE then SOFTWARE-SECURITY but all I can see is a little marker that says:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set).

I'm set (or thought I was, anyway!) the administrator of the machine but it doesn't seem to recognise me at all. Is there any simple way to rectify this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help...
jay

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 February 2007 - 04:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

Go to the control panel and open user accounts. find your account and it should say that you are the admin.
Try downloading this program and running it. http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html this will find windows problems and repair them.

if you have been locked out of the admin account or you have been restricted, http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archi.../24/193721.aspx use this tool to promote yourself then run some frantic AV scans.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 cavepunk

cavepunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hi there - and thanks for your help! I deleted lots of junk with SuperAntiSpyware but still can't get the flash plugin to install. (In Control Panel's Add/Remove programs I have Abode Flashplayer 9 Active X installed as well as Adobe Shockwave player - wouldn't the plugin be part of one of those?)

The program you suggested I run after that seems way too complicated for a newbie (but learning!) like me so I just ran some online AV scans like you suggested...

Ah well. If I can't play flash animation, I guess it's no real loss. Thanks again for your help!
jay

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

what browser are you using?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 cavepunk

cavepunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hi there!

My PC is Windows XP Service Pack 2 and I use internet explorer. I'm now unable to install the Flash Player and Shockwave Player. When I try I receive this message:

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account."

However, it's a home computer and I am running from the administrators account. A few hours of Googling lead me to trying to use regedt to locate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

then the Security key but there is no Security folder there!

I'd be very grateful if you could help me out here...

Thanks in advance!
jay

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Malware could be your problem. You should post a Hijack This log and let the pros take a look. Just follow the directions in the link below and post in the appropriate forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 cavepunk

cavepunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the (swift) tip! I've done as you suggested!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users