Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Cannot Initialize As The Windows Session Is Trying To Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Zoltar

Dr. Zoltar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:08 PM

Readerís Digest Version:

Symptom: Computer reports ďProgram cannot initialize as the Windows session is trying to shut down.Ē This occurs on any program I try to run including Windows Explorer and even when I try to right click on my desktop to access any settings.

Cause: Not too sure. My wife has been using the PC constantly for the past 2 days building a website in DreamWeaver. As such, weíve had multiple programs running at the same time: IE 7, MS Word, MS Outlook, DreamWeaver 8, Adobe Acrobat. The only new program Iíve installed is Cyberhawk downloaded from www.download.com. NAV detected a virus in a restore point, so I used NAV to delete it and then deleted all past restore points (about 2-3 days ago).

PC Specs: P4 2.2, 1 gig RAM, Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates (one just installed last night).

Story: Computer has been on constantly since the evening of 2/18/07. My wife has been using it to work on a website every day and therefore has had a lot of programs opened at once. I installed Cyberhawk (downloaded from www.download.com) on Monday I believe and that is the only new program on the system. Iíve installed in on my second PC and it hasnít caused any problems.

I seem to recall Nortonís Anti-virus finding a virus hiding in one of my computerís restore points. I used Nortonís to delete it and then deleted all my past restore points. I then ran a scan with Nortonís and all was clean. I cannot remember what virus it thought it had found.

Last night my wife discovered all of the open programs running slow. Such things as IE 7 would take a few minutes to load or DreamWeaver would take a few minutes to shut down. I saw a critical update last night from MS so I installed that. Then I ran Ccleaner to remove any old temp files that may have been causing a problem. Then I rebooted the PC.

It appears to load WinXP fine. All my start up programs come up in the system tray and I can even use MSN Messenger to do chat sessions. However, whenever I attempt to load a program (it doesnít matter which one it is) I get the MS pop-up error ďProgram cannot initialize as the Windows session is trying to shut down.Ē The title of the message box reflects whatever prgramís dll Iím trying to access.

Iíve been able to access the PCís HD via another computer and back up my most needed files just in case. I just can launch anything in WinXP. And Iím completely stuck as to what to do. I havenít tried to boot in safe mode yet (due to time), but thought Iíd come here first to get some thoughts as to what might be wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

Hello,

try running these scans
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
See if they find anything.

Can you install anything before it brings up the message, if so download and try this program, tell it to scan, it will find problems with windows and fix them. http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html
hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

Generally, if there's a virus in a restore point - then it had to be on your system to get there. I agree with nigglesnush85 - scan it!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Dr. Zoltar

Dr. Zoltar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for the advice! I was able to boot my PC in safe mode and ran the Panda Active Scan. It only found some tracking cookies. Housecall wouldn't run because it needed java which I couldn't get to load in safe mode.

The key program was Advanced Windows Care. I ran that and everything went back to normal. An EXTREMELY helpful program that everyone should have in their arsenal of utilities.

Again nigglesnush85, thank you for your help!

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:07 AM

No probs,

Glad to have helped
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic