Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows - Corrupt File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jameyinatl

jameyinatl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

Hello. I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. I have searched to find the answer myself, but to no avail. (I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition).

Recently, I installed a purchased version of Roxio Easy Media Creator (version 6) on a second hard drive in my computer (Drive H). I could not get the program to work so I uninstalled it. Since then, I continue to have an error message that comes up quite often:

"Windows - Corrupt File - The file or directory H:\SystemVolumeInformation\tracking.log is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

The other problem that it caused was the fact that now I have a duplicate drive in "My Computer" labeled D drive that is the same as the H Drive. When I went into Disk Management (from Manage under My Computer), it doesn't show the D Drive at all. However, the main drive, which was labeled "C" now has no label.

Each time I restart my computer it tells me that I need to run the Chkdsk utility on Drive D & Drive H.

I did find out that there have been others who have had the same problem with Roxio but have never gotten any assistance from them. They seem to be passing the buck and telling them it is not their problem. I also have tried System Restore to see if I could restore it back to the time before I installed the program but it keeps telling me it is unable - that System restore was turned off at that time. I have never turned system restore off. However, now when I go to the System Restore screen, there are NO restore points available and system Restore is turned ON!?!?!?

Another confusing part of this is the fact that I have had Roxio Easy Media Creator 6 installed on the computer at a previous time and nothing like this ever happened.

Any help will be much appreciated. I have backed up all of my files and have considered reformatting the "H" Drive, but wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do. Can the mysterious "D" Drive be deleted?

Thanks. Please let me know if you might need any additional information! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

Delete tracking.log and leave it in the Recycle Bin. Reboot the system to see if any issues occur or the error message pops up again. If everything seems to go back to normal create a new restore point then empty the Recycle Bin.

Also toss Roxio in the trash. I got rid of that crappy burning software a long time ago and switched to NTI CD-Maker.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 22 February 2007 - 04:50 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 jameyinatl

jameyinatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

Hey. I hate to sound like an idiot, but where can I find the file tracking.log? Thanks.

#4 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

Here I guess H:\SystemVolumeInformation\tracking.log you can try that im not 100% sure on that, but the file should be there

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yep, but it's not real easy to get at. It'd be easier to turn System Restore off, reboot the system, and then turn it back on.

This'll delete all you old restore points and may let you use System Restore again.

I wouldn't try this until you solve the duplicate drive problem tho' (which I can't help with) - because it'll leave you without any way of restoring your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jameyinatl

jameyinatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

Delete tracking.log and leave it in the Recycle Bin. Reboot the system to see if any issues occur or the error message pops up again. If everything seems to go back to normal create a new restore point then empty the Recycle Bin.

I tried to delete the tracking log from the system Volume folder, but it comes up with the error message:
"Cannot delete tracking: The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable"

I haven't tried this in Safe Mode. Any further ideas?
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users