Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Blind

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red Menace

Red Menace

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

I just upgraded to a widescreen monitor, but even after running the installation disk, I couldn't set the resolution properly. The optimal resolution (1600 x 1080) wasn't showing up in my Display Properties, so everything looked squished. My husband tried to fix it, and set it to 1600 x 1200, which of course blacked out the screen and gave the message "Cannot display this video mode." He didn't realize that it would revert in 30 seconds, and so he did what I had taught him to do when he had a problem: He turned the machine off, waited ten seconds, and turned it back on. Now the settings are permanent.

Short of restoring the system to its original state and losing everything, how can I get the display back within range? And then, how can I get it un-squished?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 22 February 2007 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

Try booting into safe mode and see of you can chance the settings there.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

a) is your video card compatible with the monitor
:thumbsup: why not uninstalling the program for the monitor, reboot and try again?

#4 Red Menace

Red Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:27 PM

I was having problems with the driver when all this started. Right now, the monitor is only showing the error message for when you set the resolution higher than the actual number of pixels, and I can't get back to figuring out the driver until I can see what I'm doing!
As far as restarting in safe mode, what's the keystroke command for that? I can't see to click on anything.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:17 AM

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users