Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot 1.3 To 1.4 Fails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pbmac

pbmac

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:19 AM

Hi, I recently downloaded the version 1.4 update and tried to install it. It gets to the point where it is installing and extracting files, then fails with the following error: Error occurred while trying to replace existing file: DeleteFile; code 5 Access denied. I tried retry several times with no luck. I aborted (only other option was ignore) and it said it rolled everything back. Now when I run "check for updates", the update for 1.4 does not appear. Under Help-->About it says it's still version 1.3, but in Add/Remove Programs only 1.4 shows up. At Safer Networking theres an FAQ that addresses uninstalling, I just wanted to exhaust my forum help before doing that. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:01 AM

Welcome to BC pbmac :thumbsup:

I would suggest completely uninstalling Spybot 1.4, then installing Spybot 1.4 This is what I did on my computer. I have generally found that with security programs, upgrading to the newer versions generally works better by uninstalling the older version first then installing the new version.

Let us know if that works. There might be some other glitch causing problems.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 February 2007 - 04:02 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 pbmac

pbmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

Thanks. Have 1.4 installed now. Also used the Spybot Search and Destroy tutorial here for help with installation. I removed 1.3 with Add/Remove, then ran Safer Networking's small uninstall cleanup tool, all went well. Thanks again.
patmac
ps. Is there a way to mark this thread as "solved"?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Don't forget the do the Tools & Advanced check library updates if you have not already done so.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 pbmac

pbmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

I'm not too sure what you mean here. do I need to download and install something else? Also, I'm not sure if it's because I just switched to the Limited User Account then back to the Administrator Account, but my hard drive is running like mad. Is this from Tea Timer? When I first switched to the Limited account, AVG installed itself. I thought maybe that was scanning, over in the Limited account....should I start a new thread for help with setting up the different accounts? Thanks again

#6 pbmac

pbmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:27 AM

Sorry for the two posts. I left here, switched to the Limited User account, and sure enough, AVG was scanning there. Not sure why. It scanned the same number of files I scanned as an Administrator a while ago..I'll post a new thread asking what goes on etc with the different User accounts, just wanted to wrap up here. Thanks for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users