Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Play And Plug Device Error, Upgrading Win98se To Winme... Canīt Install Drivers...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 explanans

explanans

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

I was too busy to fix my pc, so I gave it to a licensed technician.
He tried many things and said that there was no reasonable solution for my pc, that I should take the HDD and put it into a different PC...
Actually, hearing to the details he told me, I realized that the problem was the power supply, getting bad sectors to my hddrive and so many errors in the Win98 he installed.
So, I changed the power supply and fixed the hdd with HDD Repair.

But... after installing all the drivers, there was no way to get the win98 to recognise the Network Adapter.
And I could see the exclamation point in the yellow circle displayed next to the Plug and Play BIOS device in Device Manager, if you viewed the properties for the Plug and Play BIOS device, the following status would have been displayed:

This device is not working properly because the file (Bios.vxd) that
loads the drivers for this device is bad (Code 8). To fix this problem,
click Update Driver to update the driver for this device.

If you clicked Update Driver and attempted to search for a better driver, you would receive the following message:

vp
The best driver is already installed.

I just took the WinMe upgrade CD and upgraded my Win98SE to Me, as I planned to get easier acces to my pendrive, and hoping to solve the problem.

NOW, in WinMe I canīt install the driver for

1.Genius Sound Live 5.1
2.Tekram P5M4-B's onboard video

According to Aida16 the video should be Trident CyberBlade i7

there is no video device in the Device Manager but Windows canīt find any new hardware anyway.

The cuestion is that the video was working great before the WinMe upgrade...

I'm exhausted :thumbsup: !!!
...really

Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

You would have been better off running Win98SE. WinME is the worst operating system windows has ever created. Look on ebay and get a Windows 2000 disk at least. Personally if i had to choose between Windows 3.1 and ME, I would go for the 3.1 any day lol.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 explanans

explanans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:48 AM

Ok. Thanks, but is there anyway for me to use Win98 and not having to make a call to Bill Gates and have him one hour on the phone to get my pendrive detected?

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

You should not have any problems if you are using the correct drivers for the pendrive. But I still say you should go out an splurge the extra 50-100 bucks to get a windows 2000 disc. What are your system specs anyways? You might be able to get up to XP

Gavin Seabrook

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

Ok. Thanks, but is there anyway for me to use Win98 and not having to make a call to Bill Gates and have him one hour on the phone to get my pendrive detected?

All pen drives used on Win98 need there own drivers. I used 4 pen drives and each one need different drivers. They are sometimes supplied with the pen or you goto the manufacturers website to download them. Thee are Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers for Win98 but I can't get them to work. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 03 March 2007 - 05:21 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 explanans

explanans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

Hello,
Thanks to both of you.
Finally I found out that this techinician had been messing around with my bios setup...
I just had to fix those mistakes that were misleading the o.s.

Thanks,

Explanans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users