Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brother Sucking Up All Bandwidth

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Housemaster

Housemaster

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

Ok, hopefully there's a quick fix to this one: I have basically no access to any bit of internet. My max download speed is 7Kbps, on broadband. I KNOW it shouldn't be this way, because I WAS getting 50Kbps a little while ago... Sometimes, my idiotic brother downloads a bunch of random junk, and it slows my internet down really badly. So, here's my question:
---
I have a UPnP router, and I would like to limit the download/upload speed to each computer... how would I do that? (Preferred)
AND/OR
I'd like to end his downloads sometimes, but I don't want to go into his room to do so - Is there any way that I could end them from my computer, maybe over the router? I don't want them to ALWAYS be inactive... just... sometimes. (Still works)
---
Any fixes are good, I'll try anything at this point.... Hopefully I get a fast answer, I need it soon... but any time is good, because it's a recurring problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

Is he downloading all day?

Post your router model. Some models do allow limiting of bandwidth to devices. Usually only the high end models.

What do you get(speed) when he is not downloading? He cant do it all the time.

You could always tell him to stop? Go in his room and shut the downloads off or pause them. Use a program like "free download manager(google it)
it can pause and resume downloads even if the internet is cut off.Pause it when you want internet so it wont loose the place and have to start over again and resume when your done.

If you live at home with the parents you could always just tell them to make him stop downloading all the time and only at night. Like make a list of what he wants to download and let them download all night. I did this and in one month on dial up I had over 4gb downloaded.

#3 Housemaster

Housemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:19 AM

Hmm, I get 50kbps average when he's not... and that's what I'm getting right now. I have no idea why. And I think his downloads might be on right now too... Maybe my internet just had an unexpected period of lag? Who knows... At least it's fixed now... And I'll get a Download manager so I can shut them off too. Then I can make sure it STAYS fixed. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users