Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is A Trojan Horse?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

I just recieved 2 notices from my AVG anti-virus protection that Trojan Horse Flooder.BBG was detected, then cleaned. I am faithful about making sure all my programs are up to date.
How does this happen+now what do I need to do?
I'm a novice user+very worried :thumbsup:
Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

Trojans are malware programs that stealthily get on your computer thru mostly user action such as clicking on a link in email,IM's, web pages or opening email attachments.
They are also delivered by scripted driveby downloads where all you have to do is visit a web page or mouse over an image. Another way they get on your computer is they come bundled with P2P downloads or free screensavers and such.
I googled the trojan that AVG blocked and could not find a reference. It is a good idea when you get something like this trojan on your computer to run other scans to make sure that it is completely gone and there isn't another piece of malware that downloaded this one.
Bit Defender Online scan and Super Antispyware would be two very good programs to use.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

Trojans FAQs
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

Hi honu1
A trojan (lets say its the Big wooden made shaped horse during the siege of Troy)<i think its troy>used by the invaders,when you look at the outside,you think it is a masterpiece but in the inside comes the payload which is viruses,these trojans usually come when you download something for example a tool which makes your PC so fast,but in reality,it is a trojan it is only using the name of that tool or any means to fascinate you, to trick you that you're not downloading any virus some trojans however some are found in the wild while surfing (i dunno how&why but it is true just at least to inform you all) here are some examples of Popular trojans in the web:
Zlob--Commonly found with users
WinSpy---Fake deadly Anti-Spyware program,usually comes in a form of popups once the popup has appeared,close it immediately,it may also install itself without you noticing it
SpyFalcon--Fake deadly Anti-Spyware program,You will be directed into some black colored site that says is your pc secured? then tell you to get SpyFalcon or else it would start deleting your files
The only way to protect yourself is to get an Anti-Virus,Anti-Spyware and a Firewall that is good on detecting viruses with realtime protection and on its automatic updates which means,even if the trojan lands on to your system,The Anti-Virus automatically detects it then quarantines the trojan consider to protect your PC,you should consider buying full versions of these programs like:AVG,ZoneAlarm,Trend Micro and more...
----hope this information helps you -Commander Gman :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

Here is a Full Description found on WikiPedia

In the context of computer software, a Trojan horse is a program that contains or installs a malicious program (sometimes called the payload or 'trojan'). The term is derived from the classical myth of the Trojan Horse. Trojan horses may appear to be useful or interesting programs (or at the very least harmless) to an unsuspecting user, but are actually harmful when executed. (See Social engineering.)

Often the term is shortened to simply trojan, even though this turns the adjective into a noun, reversing the myth (Greeks, not Trojans, were gaining malicious access).

There are two common types of Trojan horses. One, is otherwise useful software that has been corrupted by a cracker inserting malicious code that executes while the program is used. Examples include various implementations of weather alerting programs, computer clock setting software, and peer to peer file sharing utilities. The other type is a standalone program that masquerades as something else, like a game or image file, in order to trick the user into some misdirected complicity that is needed to carry out the program's objectives.

Trojan horse programs cannot operate autonomously, in contrast to some other types of malware, like viruses or worms. Just as the Greeks needed the Trojans to bring the horse inside for their plan to work, Trojan horse programs depend on actions by the intended victims. As such, if trojans replicate and even distribute themselves, each new victim must run the program/trojan. Therefore their virulence is of a different nature, depending on successful implementation of social engineering concepts rather than flaws in a computer system's security design or configuration.

However there is another meaning for the term 'Trojan Horse' in the field of computer architecture. Here it basically represents any piece of User Code which makes the Kernel Code access anything it would not have been able to access itself in the first place (i.e making the OS do something it wasn't supposed to be doing). Such security loopholes are called Trojan Horses.

:thumbsup: Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users