Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Function Keys Dormant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ripple

Ripple

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:53 PM

I bought a used Sony Vaio laptop. Works fine except for the the function Fn keys not working. Well, that and the fact that if you allow the system to go into standby you cannot get it to come back up. Hmmm. Anyone with any ideas on how to get this working?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:34 AM

Read this thread. There is a link in it where you can download the fix for the Fn problem.

What are your power saving settings?

#3 Ripple

Ripple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

Thanks fozzie! Your help was invaluable. And thanks Bleeping Computer, you're just what I (and most of the people I know) need(ed).

#4 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

For the standby, check your power settings. You might have it to shut off the hard disk or something. Just change it to stand by.

#5 Ripple

Ripple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

Thanks nforce,

I have my power control set to shut down the hard disk after so many minutes. (I have no idea what the difference is between shutting down the hard disk and standby.) The computer will come back to life if only the hard disk is shut down-- and so that's how i set it up. But if I put it in standby, or if I set the power control to shout it off after the monitor and the hard disk it will go into standby, but it won't come back up when I hit any keys as it should. I can live with it the way it is, but I'd sort of like to have some idea of what is happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users