Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reusing Dell Cpu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mortiffer

Mortiffer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

My friend wants to upgrade his comp but does not have enough money for a new cpu so we though we could just use his old DELL P4.
We hook everything up new mainboard new graphics card .... It boots BUT after about 5 seconds it shuts off (the start up screen does show for about 1 second)

So any ideas ?

o yeah we tried the ram and graphics card out they are fine but i cant test the p4 because I'm a all AMD guy

Edited by Mortiffer, 21 February 2007 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

Did you clean the thermal paste off of the processor and heatsink then reapply it properly? Did you set the Bios or jumpers correctly to recognize the processor? Did you read the motherboard manual on how to set it up?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Mortiffer

Mortiffer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

Yup Yup Yup

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

Was XP installed on the hard drive when you hooked it up? If so yu will need to do a repair or fresh install due to the conflict of the old install not recognizing the new hardware.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users