Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Laptop Screen Appearance (colors & Jittery)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

I'm noticing two things on my Compaq laptop screen:
1. When I'm typing in Word (for example), I can sometimes see the "colors" in the black text (like the colors making up the black, if that makes sense -- sort of like how you can see the colors on a DLP projector sometimes). I guess it might just be my eyes...? Please, no acid jokes... :thumbsup:

2. When I move open windows across the screen, I can see them as they move, but it looks all jittering/stuttery. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 21 February 2007 - 04:57 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

The first problem happen to my first desktop, and about 2-3 weeks later it not only went out, BUT started smoking(Caught on Fire). The second problem might be because of this. On my laptop I get a temp verison of the first problem when I go from Outside to inside and never shut it down (40 degrees to 75 degrees) Do you take it in one place then to another where the temp. Drops or raises alot?

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

The first problem happen to my first desktop, and about 2-3 weeks later it not only went out, BUT started smoking(Caught on Fire). The second problem might be because of this. On my laptop I get a temp verison of the first problem when I go from Outside to inside and never shut it down (40 degrees to 75 degrees) Do you take it in one place then to another where the temp. Drops or raises alot?

Nope, just use it in my house at the kitchen table. It's usually rather cool in here. The fan runs often on the laptop (it's running high right now), but I was told this is normal because things are so close together inside (the fan just went off now).

So is the window you're moving across the screen not supposed to look jittery when you move it?

(The fan just turned on and then off again...)

I mostly see the colors in the black type as I'm typing, and it's not all the time.

(Hmmm... fan just went back on again and off... I might start a separate thread about that... How often should the fan go on and off?)

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

Laptops and notebooks are notorious for this. It has been known that over time, due to continuous opening and closing of the lid, the video connector to the mainboard becomes loose leading to unacceptable issues. Normally however, the screen will display lines of green across the lower half of the screen. Depending on the age and use of your laptop this may or may not apply. It would be wise to purchase a cool mat for your laptop. Theres alot of electronics in a small place and cooling of a small vent fan means lower life span. A notebook cooler draws out excessive heat as it sits under the laptop directly. Cooling fans help to dispense cool air to the underside of your laptop at the same time. Many fail to realize this and blame failing components on quality of the product. If you keep it cool it will extend the lifespan of your laptop. They run off a usb port and cost about 30-45 dollars. well worth the investment and a peace of mind. Update the graphics driver if there is a newer version of it at the manufacturers website. This may also resolve your problem.

Hope I helped.
Darren

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:38 AM

I'll look into the fan thing. I'm getting worried about it. Is there any kind of setting that I could have changed that would be causing the fan issue? It's off for 42 seconds then on for 23 seconds, again, and again, etc.

I have done some XviD converstions with AutoGK, and that runs the processor fairly hard (I think?), so the fan ended up running on high for a few hours or more while that's going on. I did that a few times. I assumed the computer is supposed to be able to handle that, as people do it all the time. But could that be the cause of my fan problem now?

As for the screen, my friend's laptop does the same thing with the non-stable image of windows as you move them around. So that might be normal. As for the color thing... I'm going to check his. It could just be my eyes...?

Edited by bloomcounty, 22 February 2007 - 12:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users