Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Settings For Securely Using Free Wireless (also Hp Wireless Assistant Q's)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

I hope this is the right board section to post in...

I recently got a laptop and while 95% of the time I use my dial-up at home, I plan on taking it to places that have free wireless internet (like cafes or whatever). I want to make sure that I have all the settings on my computer set the right way to use the wireless internet and also to make sure I'm all set to do so in the most secure way (meaning, I don't have some settings set to allow other people to get on my computer or to share files, etc.). I messed with some settings at a friends house who had a wireless router, just to see if we could get it to work (and it eventually did -- not sure what wasn't working).

Right now I have something named Wireless Network Connection 2 (not sure why it's "2"). When I do properties on it, in the general tab, it says it uses the following items:

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

...all four of these are checked. Should they be?

Under Wireless Networks, "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is checked. There is one preferred network listed, which is the wireless router from my friend's house.

Under Advanced, "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" is unchecked.

Under the 1394 Connection - General tab, all three things are checked:

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

I use the free edition of ZoneAlarm, just so you know.

Also, does the HP Wireless Assistant need to run on start-up all the time? Or is there a way to turn it off, and then just turn it on when I actually want to use the wireless (at a place that has free wireless, etc.)?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:18 PM

sounds like you have default network settings there. as lonfg as you have a firewall, windows or zonealarm, that will protect you from most of the general issues regarding security. firewalls monitor incoming and outgoing traffic, so it decides upon a set of rules whick "packets" are allowed to go and come into your lap. as far as the "1394" connection, that is a firewire connectrion if you wanna plug your lap into another lap using firewire, not applicable to wireless.
HP connection assistant, you can disable it from startup if you wish, start>run> type in "msconfig" hit enter, click the startup tab, go through the list, find the program you want out of startup, remove the checkmark, click apply, then ok, then reboot. voila, it isnt on startup. to start it up in windows once this is done, click on start>all programs, then you should see something with "HP" in it, in that should be your connection assistant.
hope this helps!
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

sounds like you have default network settings there. as lonfg as you have a firewall, windows or zonealarm, that will protect you from most of the general issues regarding security. firewalls monitor incoming and outgoing traffic, so it decides upon a set of rules whick "packets" are allowed to go and come into your lap. as far as the "1394" connection, that is a firewire connectrion if you wanna plug your lap into another lap using firewire, not applicable to wireless.
HP connection assistant, you can disable it from startup if you wish, start>run> type in "msconfig" hit enter, click the startup tab, go through the list, find the program you want out of startup, remove the checkmark, click apply, then ok, then reboot. voila, it isnt on startup. to start it up in windows once this is done, click on start>all programs, then you should see something with "HP" in it, in that should be your connection assistant.
hope this helps!
dave

The HP folder in all programs didn't have a shortcut to the wireless connection assistant, and it wouldn't let me add one, so I just created a shortcut on my desktop. Thanks.
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users