Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Cpqset.exe, Eabservr.exe, & Hpwuschd2.exe

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:06 PM

I have a question about three start-up items:

Cpqset.exe
Default settings software in Hewlett Packard notebook
...what is this exactly and why is it okay to uncheck in msconfig? I don't really understand the brief explanation as to what it is above.

EabServr.exe
Easy Access Buttons control panel on Compaq laptops. Only required if you use the extra keys
...what are the "extra keys" exactly? Is it just the "Quick Launch Buttons" that show up when you double click that in the Control Panel?

hpwuSchd2.exe
HP software updates. If a shortcut doesn't exist, create your own and run it manually
...I disabled this one and created a shortcut, but when you double-click the shortcut, nothing happens (though Task manager then shows the process as running). What is this exactly? And why would you ever need to run it?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

cpqset.exe

The cpqset.exe process is used to change various settings regarding the configuration of your Hewlett Packard Notebook. If you find this tool useful you should leave the process running. Otherwise you can terminate this process, as it is not required for your notebook to operate.

eabservr.exe

The eabservr.exe process is usually found on Compaq pcs. When running it enables the multimedia buttons present on compaq keyboards (such as volume control, sleep etc). If this process is not running your computer will use the default keyboard driver, All of the 'Normal' keys will still work but the multimedia keys will do nothing.

hpwuSchd2.exe

The hpwuschd2.exe process will check on the internet for available updates for the drivers of your Hewlett Packard device(s). If updates are available it is used to manage the download and install of the updates. If you are not experiencing any problems with your Hewlett Packard device(s) you can safely terminate this process.

http://www.auditmypc.com

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

cpqset.exe

The cpqset.exe process is used to change various settings regarding the configuration of your Hewlett Packard Notebook. If you find this tool useful you should leave the process running. Otherwise you can terminate this process, as it is not required for your notebook to operate.

I don't know if I find this useful because I don't know exactly what it does. This is very vague. Is there any way to find out exactly what this is doing?

hpwuSchd2.exe

The hpwuschd2.exe process will check on the internet for available updates for the drivers of your Hewlett Packard device(s). If updates are available it is used to manage the download and install of the updates. If you are not experiencing any problems with your Hewlett Packard device(s) you can safely terminate this process.

Well, I turned off both the Install Shield things in msconfig, I don't know if this has to do with those. But, again, I'm uncertain exactly how this thing works. I did turn it off in msconfig and put a shortcut to it on my desktop and tried running it, and all it does is show up in the Task Manager. I don't know what, if anything, it's actually doing.

Thanks for the post! Any additional thoughts?

Edited by bloomcounty, 22 February 2007 - 07:44 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

I don't know if I find this useful because I don't know exactly what it does. This is very vague. Is there any way to find out exactly what this is doing?

I'm really not sure what the process does exactly. Everywhere, the information on it is the same:

Have you tried to open it?
By default, the file should be located:
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\
-or-
C:\compaq\cpqsetup\

Well, I turned off both the Install Shield things in msconfig, I don't know if this has to do with those. But, again, I'm uncertain exactly how this thing works. I did turn it off in msconfig and put a shortcut to it on my desktop and tried running it, and all it does is show up in the Task Manager. I don't know what, if anything, it's actually doing.

What this sounds like is when you click the shortcut it enables the process back in Task Manager.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

What this sounds like is when you click the shortcut it enables the process back in Task Manager.

Sure, but what is the process actually doing?

Thanks!

#6 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:16 AM

From the description, it sounds like hpwuSchd2.exe monitors your drivers and downloads the updates. If you disable it via msconfig, you'd probably have to manually update your drivers if and when the need arises.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

From the description, it sounds like hpwuSchd2.exe monitors your drivers and downloads the updates. If you disable it via msconfig, you'd probably have to manually update your drivers if and when the need arises.

What drivers? And how would I know if/when the need would arise?

Should I just run that .exe once in awhile and see if it does anything? (I'm not particularly too thrilled about programs downloading and installing stuff without my knowledge though...)

Would it be tied into the ISUSPM.exe and issch.exe, which seem to have to do with that InsallShiled thing, both of which I've also disabled in startup.

Also, what is the blank line in msconfig startup that is checked?

Thanks!

#8 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hi again,

What drivers? And how would I know if/when the need would arise?

Sorry, "if/when the need arises" was a bad choice of words. If you stop the process from running, you can periodically check if there are any updates for your drivers (hardware devices that came with your computer).

I believe you can go here and check if there are any updates for your system:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Also, what is the blank line in msconfig startup that is checked?

I'm not sure. Could you possibly post a screenshot?
Open msconfig
Hit the Print Screen key
Open Paint
Then hit both the ctrl, v keys simultaneously.

Follow the directions here (in the first post) on how to host an image and post it here (if you don't know how to do it):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/14738/inserting-an-image-within-a-post/

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

Picture below at link... thanks!

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?a...st&id=13235

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

Download http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/bats/getrun.bat and save it to your desktop.

Double-click on it and a notepad will open. Post the contents of that notepad as a reply to this topic.

Afterwards you can delete runreg.bat from your desktop and the file it created at c:\run.reg

#11 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

Download http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/bats/getrun.bat and save it to your desktop.

Double-click on it and a notepad will open. Post the contents of that notepad as a reply to this topic.

Afterwards you can delete runreg.bat from your desktop and the file it created at c:\run.reg

Sorry it took so long to reply:

1. I just clicked on the link above at first, and it opened in a new Firefox window with some text (then I realized I needed to right-click and "save as", which I did). But did I do anything bad by just clicking on the link and letting it open in Firefox? :thumbsup:

2. Here's the results of doing as you instructed:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
@=""
"eabconfg.cpl"="C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Quick Launch Buttons\\EabServr.exe /Start"
"Cpqset"="C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Default Settings\\cpqset.exe"
"RecGuard"="C:\\Windows\\SMINST\\RecGuard.exe"
"AVG7_CC"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Grisoft\\AVGFRE~1\\avgcc.exe /STARTUP"
"ZoneAlarm Client"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Zone Labs\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"

...thoughts?

Thanks!

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

Right click on the following link and save the file to your desktop. When done downloading, double-click on the file and allow the data to merge.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/cleanreg.reg

That empty entry in your startups should now be gone and you can delete the cleanreg.reg file.

#13 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

Right click on the following link and save the file to your desktop. When done downloading, double-click on the file and allow the data to merge.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/cleanreg.reg

That empty entry in your startups should now be gone and you can delete the cleanreg.reg file.

1. What is this going to do exactly? And can it have any kind of adverse reaction to anything?

2. What is the blank entry? And does leaving it do any harm?

3. What was the answer to #1 in my previous post?

4. The first time I tried to right-click and download, it took a really long time and then after it said it was downloaded, it wasn't there. I did a search an nothing. I tried again, and now it downloaded, but what would have happened the first time?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 06 March 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

1. It is going to remove the empty entry from your registry.

2. No idea what the blank entry is from, but it should not be there. Removing it will cause zero harm.

3. Nothing bad. Firefox just treated it as a textfile so opened it in the browser.

4. No idea to be honest. Maybe there was a hiccup on the server.

#15 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

1. It is going to remove the empty entry from your registry.

2. No idea what the blank entry is from, but it should not be there. Removing it will cause zero harm.

3. Nothing bad. Firefox just treated it as a textfile so opened it in the browser.

4. No idea to be honest. Maybe there was a hiccup on the server.

One question... if running this reg thing remove all the things listed in my msconfig list that I've UNCHECKED? I don't want to get rid of those things, in case I decide to reactivate them.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users