Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Boot ............ Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mheathcote

mheathcote

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hi.
I have a Fujitsu Siemens 'C' Series Lifebook laptop. Everything has been fine until yesterday when the unit started running slow. This morning I ran defrag after removing unwanted files (normal operation once a week) and the unit crahsed and now refuses to start.

When the power is turned on it boots via the hard drive or floppy or CD. The screen goes black then a horizontal broekn white line appears at the bottom of the screen followed later by this message

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system'

'You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair'

Ok first problem is that I dont have an original CD-ROM as the software (Windows XP SP2) was pre-installed. The second problem I have is that it will boot from a floppy drive (external USB device) but will not allow me to jump from A: to C: to interrogate the file.

What the hell can I do. I would just be happy to retrieve some of the data currently held on the drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Since you can't get to C: from the A: prompt - and considering that the error refers to a registry file - I'd suspect that your hard drive is dead.

Try running the diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer's website via a bootable floppy or CD - that'll tell you the status of the drive.

If it is dead, then you'll need to contact Fujitsu Siemens for a set of restore disks after replacing the hard drive
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mheathcote

mheathcote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. After extensive work today I have now managed to get get the laptop to boot from a floppy and from c: I've now tried various 'boot disk' utilities to get the error repairdd without any luck. I have a dell restore disk for Windows XP which I have attempted to laod on but this obviuosly will not work due to the computer not being recognised as a dell. One boot disk had a defrag utility on it but it freezes up each time on a particular file.

Can you offer any other help or recommend a utility which i get get to retrieve some of the files off the hard drive as they are fairly important.

Mike.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

Slave the hard drive to another computer and see if you can access the data that way. If that doesn't work, then try PCInspector (free at http://www.pcinspector.de ) to recover the files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mheathcote

mheathcote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:39 AM

:thumbsup: Hi John, the laptops hard drive was partitioned c:/d: i managed to find a copy of XP (legal of course) and boot via that disk and install a new version of windows on d: It worked and have now been bale to get at all my data. Thanks for the help. Will keep a note of PC inspector just in case.

Mike.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:20 AM

You might want to run PCInspector anyway to see if anything is recoverable. The chances are less since you reinstalled - but you may get lucky!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users