Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 richybarber

richybarber

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

I've got an ASROCK 775DUAL-VSTA, my bios is version 2.10, I've checked their site, & the latest available for Windows Vista is ver 2.50. I downloaded it ok following their guide, but when I tried to upgrade after extracting all the files, all i got was the message 'driver error', can anybody help me out here..... am I doing something wrong?. :thumbsup:

Edited by richybarber, 22 February 2007 - 02:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:50 AM

I could not find your mobo with a search, but, every BIOS update I've seen has to be run from a disk not your Hard Drive. Did you put it on a disk before you tried to update? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 richybarber

richybarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for that, did'nt give it a thought, will try later when I have more time. One more passing thought, should I disconnect from the net while I'm trying to install?

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:18 AM

I don't know if it's nessary, but it couldn't hurt.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:04 AM

Hi Richey
There are two seperate bios update downloads for that board.
One is the old traditional dos based using a boot floppy and the other is usable directly from windows.
Next to the downloads is an "how to update" link for each. Click and read. :thumbsup:
Rule #1. Never have anything running if you're flashing from windows. Disable every running app. Updating the bios via a floppy boot disk avoids all this and still the method I prefer myself.
Regardless of which way you go, disable any virus detection that already may be enabled in the bios itself first as well. Typicly you will see boot virus detection enabled in there somewhere.
Is there some particular reason you're upgrading the bios?
If you look at the bios description in the link above, the difference between v.2.10 and v.2.50 doesn't address much. In fact, the "update cpu code" from version 2.10 to version 2.50 addresses only one cpu upgrade (Core 2 Duo E4300(L2) ).
The other two issues addressed between your current version and 2.50 are usb and quite fan.
Unless you're upgrading to that exact cpu or are having usb\quite fan issues, there's really no need.

Edited by HitSquad, 23 February 2007 - 08:07 AM.

#6 richybarber

richybarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for your reply HitSquad, I don't have a floppy drive on my pc, so I thought it would be ok to do it from a cd, will know better next time. The good news is I've managed to find a replacement flash memory chip for my board, should arrive tomorrow complete will extrating tool. As far as I know it's just a question of taking the old chip out & replacing it. away you go :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users