Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Ultimate Playing Dvd Bsod's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 salshroom

salshroom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hello all. I have a vista ultimate o/s oem fresh install. all updates made. im using all certified and verified support drivers for my hardware. im running asus p5b deluxe wifi / ap edition motherboard. nvidia 8800gtx video card. 2x1gb ddr2 800mhz corsair. 2 samsung dvd/rw dual layer burners. using windows media player that came with the o/s.

when watching a movie the computer randomly reboots due to a BSOD. i check the mini dump errors . and results show nothing conclusive. microsoft has only said to do a fresh install. ya well um. ive done that several times. regardless of the dvd itself.

wondering if anyone might have had this issue also?

p.s. i tried to install my nero 7 essentials software that came with my burners. and before i could even start the msiexec or the setup installer it pounces me with a pop-up stating this is not supported by vista.

any ideas would be splendid , thanks guy/gals

Sal - G'day

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

I suspect that the drivers that you are using aren't fully Vista compatible (or it may be the hardware). Did this system come from the factory with Vista installed - or did you install it on an existing system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

Usasma, I would guess that since it's a Retail board from ASUS, that he prolly installed from scratch.
Further, I have had similar issues running any DVD's within Vista which currently appear to be caused by a lack of Protected support on some of my older DVD's. When running DVD X player, my dvd's play w/o issue. However, when I try to play them with Media Player, supposedly with built in DVD support, I get a low memory error. Bull. I have yet to run Process explorer to determine the root of the issue with Media player. But when running a 3rd party DVD player in compatability mode with XP sp2 works, why worry about it.

Salshrrom, you may want to download the latest drivers for your Video Card and DVD Player/burner whichever it is.. Also, turn off any Firewall or Antivirus programs before installing new drivers or Applications on VISTA as some of these products will Treat new drivers and software as a Virus, or even worse, as a Root Kit. Now go and be merry with vista.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

I've been watching DVD movies with the built in Media Center player on my Toshiba laptop, my Asus P4P800 SE mobo, and my MSI 975x mobo without any issues.

I did hear that nVidia has released the first of the 100 series of it's ForceWare Release 100 (Version: 100.65) WHQL Driver. That may help.

FWIW - the Intel chipset drivers on my Asus and MSI boards aren't Vista compatible - so that could be causing the problem also (or it could be another chipset's drivers).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:53 AM

My only other thought here is that, there is a low level system call that the hardware can't handle or that Bad ram may be the case.

Salshroom, this may be as simple as running Vista memory test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users