Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista And Vpn Set Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jgadrummer

jgadrummer

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

I was always able to use XP and create VPN accounts with no issues, now with Vista when I create a VPN account the usual way, it will not connect, I get a weird PPTP error...

Jga

Edited by jgadrummer, 21 February 2007 - 09:15 AM.

"All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players..."
'NP'

'Music is the fuel of life...'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:11 AM

Ok this may be caused by issues with your firewall settings. Further, are you trying to Connect to Vista from an XP Machine? Connect to Vista machines, or connect to a private network with vista being used as the client.

In the first scenario. make certain that the LLTD responder service is installed for XP to connect to Vista. You can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Furthermore, Turn off any firewalls on BOTH ends of the VPN, and attempt to connect then. If successful this would mean that your default firewall settings do not allow the connection to be made. You can see what services are running in over the network by opening the command line and typing: netstat -a

Make a note of the Computer's IP address. Both the one you want to connect to and the one you are connecting from. I don't know for certain what Port VPN uses, but that will be very important in determing the problems you have stressed here.

When you determine the correct process and network port that is in use for VPN you need to make certain that service and Port are opened and allowed in your Firewall. This issue might be better explained in The Networking Forum.

Edited by RandomUser, 22 February 2007 - 12:12 AM.

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:36 AM

This is not one of my areas, but I received this yesterdaŭ in my E-mail from MS. Maybe this, in the future, will be part of the solution?? ::

The System Center Essentials team is very pleased to announce the availability of the Release Candidate 1 software on the Microsoft Connect site. With the release of SCE RC1 in conjunction with Operations Manager 2007 RC2 you can now test providing managed services to your customers. This solution provides a single entry point for remote management over the internet for customers' server and client environments, leveraging Operations Manager 2007 as the service provider console.

This solution includes:

Support for remote management services over the internet without requiring a VPN
Remote Managed Services management pack
Customer centric service provider views and reports
Diagnostic tasks to troubleshoot problems remotely
Support for remote monitoring and centralized update management, software distribution and software and hardware inventory

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:36 AM

uhaligani,

I believe that the Items you refer to are geared towards Corporate Environments. Although Elements of these services may be found in Retail/OEM systems, VPN Support is Built into Vista Business and Ultimate Versions. And Symantec, along with others, will soon provide Product Wide support for VPN services.

It is likely, although not gauranteed, that PC Anywhere will provide VPN Solutions. This is a well known Symantec product that works quite well.

And jgadrummer,

Please Post a Screen shot of the Error you recieve, HOWEVER, be carefull not to reveal passwords or your Public IP Address, That is no one's business but your own. I just want to know what the error is so I can help you fix it.

#5 jgadrummer

jgadrummer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:49 AM

Well, my home laptop runs Vista and I need to connect (via VPN) to a work server which is running Windows SBS 2003 and Windows Server 2000. Xp was fine but now Vista will not connect.
"All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players..."
'NP'

'Music is the fuel of life...'

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:04 AM

Please be aware that the Vista uses LLTD responder service and that needs to be used on the XP and 2000 machines and may also require some type of port forwarding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users