Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chipmeister

chipmeister

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:08 AM

Hi,

I am having an issue that is causing the appearance of flaws on my HDD. It shows when I run System Mechanic. To verify, I D/L disk checker 3.1 and the same issue occurred:

Deleting index entry $$$reghive in index $I30 of file 59566.
Deleting index entry $$$REG~1 in index $I30 of file 59566.
Deleting index entry cmls_ms.tlv in index $I30 of file 212415

Unfortunately, it does not delete. I have gone to the cmls_ms.tlv file and attempted to move the file temporally up one folder. It regenerated. I deleted both it regenerated.

Because:

Errors found. DSKCHKR cannot continue in read-only mode

I tried to run it in safe mode. Did not get the last statement. Unfortunately, upon reboot, the same issue occurs. CHKDSK finds nothing. any ideas?
TIA
Chip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:47 AM

If you check the website of your HDD manufacturer they should have a tool that you can download to check your drive status with. This should tell you whether or not it's a hardware problem and whether it's time for a new drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 chipmeister

chipmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

My bad. Accidently hit fast reply.

Been there. Done that. This is not a a hardware issue. Clears in safe mode. regenerates on normal boot. CHKDSK finds no eror.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

That is an AOL/AIM problem. Did any of them try to update recently? Try unistalling then reinstalling them.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 chipmeister

chipmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

I use to have AIM on board but uninstalled. This 'file' is in C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Local Settings\Application Data\AOL\UserProfiles\1165860853\chip\metrics. I do have AOL. (sorry). I have uninstalled, defragged and reinstalled but the idx error regenerates.

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

I would try to remove all traces of AIM from the computer.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users