Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torrents. Should I? Or Shouldn't I?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

Hello.
I now have broadband, at my house.
One of the reasons why I got broadband was so I could download wrestling episodes of various promotions.
The computer tech that set up the broadband strongly advised to not use torrents, as people can store bleep on your pc and other things like this.

The torrent sites I would use would be:
XWT
PWtorrents

I'm confused as to what I should do.
I'm thinking If I only download popular stuff from the torrents and they seem fine, I should be all right. At the same to I really don't want to risk my computers health.

Why do you think I should do?
Any experience with the torrents listed?
Tips?

Thanks guys, help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:12 AM

Due to the forum rules we can not give you any hints as far as other sites are concerned. In general downloading via Torrents is very risky since you do not know where the file is coming from and what it is.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:23 AM

When using torrents or other types of P2P (or just dowloading files from the net) you have to be careful because you never know if what you downloaded is what you were actually after, or if it is a virus or other malware in disguise.

When you dowload a file you should always scan it with your anti-virus before opening it. Also, never open a file just by double-clicking on it. If it is a movie file then open it from within your player - this is much safer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:33 AM

When you really think about it, .rar, .zip, .exe .wma, etc., can all do you the same exact way. Don't bother being over confused as to if you should use a faster tool/method of downloading, or if you should use a torrent client. Go for it. You'll like it.

What I would do is stay away from clients that you download, and search them for the torrents, like iMesh, War3z, Kaazaa, etc.... those programs will most likely have infected files. Just search for your torrent through web sites, download the torrent, then use your client to download it.

To start torrenting, I suggest you install these FREE tools.

PeerGuardian 2
http://methlabs.org
PeerGuardian 2 is an ip blocking tool which blocks unwanted ip addresses and web sites from connecting to your computer. If you are a p2p user or you're concerned about your online security, you should not surf the Internet without a tool such as this. Also, read this thread.
Peerguardian 2 Users - Please Read

MP3 Shield
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Au...P3-Shield.shtml
MP3 Shield is a plug-and-play application developed to help you protect your music collection. It can rapidly scan vast MP3 collection for corruptions and automatically detects corrupted MP3 files while being downloaded.
(I posted the above link because I've been having problems connecting to their site http://www.mp3shield.com)

Tor: anonymity online
http://tor.eff.org
Tor is a toolset for a wide range of organizations and people that want to improve their safety and security on the Internet. Using Tor can help you anonymize web browsing and publishing, instant messaging, IRC, SSH, and other applications that use the TCP protocol. Tor also provides a platform on which software developers can build new applications with built-in anonymity, safety, and privacy features.

Tor aims to defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal anonymity and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security. Communications are bounced around a distributed network of servers called onion routers, protecting you from websites that build profiles of your interests, local eavesdroppers that read your data or learn what sites you visit, and even the onion routers themselves.

Those are some tools to get you started. But also use a firewall, virus scan, adware, malware, software. And also, do some research on p2p, p2p clients,, torrents, torrent clients... (uTorrent is the best.. to me).

But there is too much misconceptions about p2p, it has people believing that it is actually illegal to do. That is not true, and anyone that tells you that using a p2p client is illegal is not telling you the truth, and they do not know the facts about p2p. I've been doing it for years. I know p2p, and it's better than ftp, http, etc., for the most part.

If you can't get it through a torrent, then chances are it's hard to find on the Internet....... and that doesn't mean that it's illegal content either. I've been torrenting almost every day for the last 3 years now. Out of a whole year, I may total upto 1 month that I haven't used my uTorrent client.

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users