Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD AND JUST IN THE WORLD READ THIS!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MC427

MC427

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:34 PM

There is a fatal bug in Windows XP that no service pack or update to date has addressed. What's worse is that the bug is in a feature of Windows XP that is widely known and yet no one has done anything about it.

The bug is in the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. You know, that little icon on Start menu? If you don't know it and you ever see it, take this word of advice:

DO NOT USE THE FILES AND SETTINGS TRANSFER WIZARD!!!

The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is intended as a way for someone to back up all the data associated with their user profile and compress it into several large files which can then, in theory, be loaded up on another computer.

There is a serious possibility that when using the wizard, your data will be lost forever. If you try at all to move the data once it's been collected and compressed using the wizard, this risk is increased exponentially.

Take it from me. I've been through hell with this wizard and it took me a month of chasing through the ranks of brainless Microsoft techies to finally arrive at someone whom I thought could help me only to discover that they were completely useless too.

Please, for your own sanity DO NOT USE THIS WIZARD!!
If you need to back up your files, do so manually. Or use Norton Ghost and make an image of your system. The options are out there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:58 PM

Could you provide links to further discussions of this problem? I am curious and would like to learn more about it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users