Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

None Of My Programs Appear In The Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlessedBeMe

BlessedBeMe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:25 AM

Sunday afternoon (around 4:30 p.m.) an accident cause the power to go off for several blocks including my house, shutting off my computer. Then late Sunday night (after midnight) my best friend used my computer to type something and check her email (I was asleep). Monday morning (around 9:00a.m.) my computer suddenly shut itself off. When I tried to re-boot, I got a message asking which mode diid I want to start in. My choices were: 1-normal, 2-safe mode with networking or 3-safe mode [something I dont remember], Regardless of my choice I was taken to the same message over and over again, unable to re-boot. Using a new windows xp professional disc I tried to boot, when that wouldn't work, I tried to re-install windows. It took several tries before the set up began. During the install/setup I was notified of several files missing. Finally I got re-booted and then proceeded to installing my drivers and other software for various programs. When I click on the start menu, the left side of the window is blacked out and when I click on start > programs nothing happens. None of the programs I added were there. Nor was there accessories or games, etc. I was able to install aol and firefox but for some reason I cannot access the Internet with Internet Explorer. So at the time I can go online and check my email or play games but I cannot type a simple document or add any content to my web site via Frontpage. I tried to update windows and several of the updates were unsuccessful. Is there hope or do I need to use this computer for target practice? Much gratitude to anyone brave enough to tackle this one! Respectfully, BlessedBeMe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:00 AM

Hello,
Have you tried the windows file checker? if the start menu is broken in such away that you cant see the run entry, then press the windows ket+R this will get you to Run type sfc /scannow and have your xp disc at the ready.

I would recomend installing a very handy app called advanced windows care http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html tell it to scan and it should find some system problems and fix them for you.

Let me know if this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 BlessedBeMe

BlessedBeMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:40 AM

First, thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. Problem: I could find any windows ket in order to perform this 1st task. I am clueless to where I would begin to look for such a key - now what? BlessedBeMe

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:03 AM

I think they meant to say Windows Key, (the one between ctrl and alt). Press that and the "r" key at the same time. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 BlessedBeMe

BlessedBeMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:03 AM

Thank you wildabeast (duh, I'm a blonde). When I this the 1st task I got a message stating that { windows cannot find sfc/scannow - I also did the 2nd task and according the the program it fixed several things but I've still got the same problem - any other suggestions, please :thumbsup:

#6 jordo23456

jordo23456

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

the same thing happened to me on my laptop the power went out i thought i had plugged the power but didnt when i returned to my laptop i rebooted it and it showed the menu showing 1-normal startup 2-safe mode 3-safe mode with networking and 4-last known good configuration i chose 4 and it didnt reboot properly i tried all of them and none worked i reinstalled xp and found all of my programs werent there none not even the system tools i reccomend just reinstalling all of your basic programs through firefox and just go from there i hope this was helpful :thumbsup:

#7 BlessedBeMe

BlessedBeMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:31 AM

Thanks, Jordo - where and how please :thumbsup:

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

With my first point, did you put a space in between the sfc and the /?
If that doesn't work, boot into safe mode. (keep pressing the F8 key as the system starts up) once in safe mode, try the same steps.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#9 BlessedBeMe

BlessedBeMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

Hey Niggles,
On the 1st task I got a message stating: 'Files that are required must be copied to the DLL Cache'. Then on task 2 (pressing F-8) I got a message stating: 'keyboard error'. I appreciate you trying to help me. If you happen to think of anything else please let me know. Thanks again.
Brightest Blessings,
BlessedBeMe

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hello,

When you get the message Files that are required must be copied to the DLL Cache, put in the windows disc and click next or continue. it will then transfer files from the cd to the places that need them.

With task 2, restart the system, as its loading, you should see a couple of screens before the windows screen with the bar scrolling accross it. one of these screens is your BIOS, pressing F8 at this screen will allow you to see the boot up options. select safe mode.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users