Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Activex Object

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 devil_chrissy

devil_chrissy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

Mod edit: Post split away from an unrelated topic in the XP forum and made into a topic of it's own in this forum.--PK

I've recently contraced the Video ActiveX Object download and can't get rid of it, things have happened such as reboot if I try playing games or changing screen resolution, i also think I have some keystroke spyware on my computer and it is really starting to restrict what i can do on the computer...

I have downloaded ATF Cleaner and WinPFind3u, and smitfraud. I don't have much in depth experience with computers. Can anyone help?

Edited by Papakid, 20 February 2007 - 09:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:33 PM

Hello devil_chrissy,

I am SifuMike and I will be helping you. :thumbsup:

Disable your antivirus program and go here http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html and run an online scan with BitDefender (you will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan). When the ActiveX Control has loaded, click on "Click here to scan". This scan may take a few hours. It all depends on the number of files on your computer.

When BitDefender completes the scan, select the "Detected Problems" tab.
Click on "Click here to export scan".
Save the file as an HTML to your Desktop.
Then click on the saved file and allow it to open with your browser.
Go to Edit - Select All then copy/paste that log back here.
Post the BitDefender log.

Please download Hijackthis from the following link:

HijackThis Download Site with installer

Just click on Hijackthis_sfx.exe file that you downloaded.
A WinZip self extractor screen appears with the default location of C:\Program Files\Hijackthis.
Then press the Unzip button.
Then close the Self-Extractor window.

Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe to run it.

If you would like to make a shortcut for your Desktop so it's more easily accessable, right click HijackThis.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Please run the extracted HijackThis.exe from now on.

Post the BitDefender log and a Hijackthis log to this thread.

Edited by SifuMike, 20 February 2007 - 11:39 PM.

If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 devil_chrissy

devil_chrissy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

Idownloaded spybot s+d before you posted and that has got rid of ActiveX Object, however, recently the computer stated on the login page "Turn Off Wibble", and it still restarts...

If i install a game it won't play, it restarts the comp, same for changing screensaver settings, screen resolution (, which changed back to default by itself) and generally anything that changes the comp main setups.

Spybot said it couldn't get rid of ActiveX while the thing was running so it did a check and delete at startup, i noticed that the activex was on the software explorers page, and that if it was stopped or dsabled another would pop up.

Unfortunately i can't do complete scans on the internet as the computer restarts instead of going into screensaver, so i haven't had any luck.

Windows defender, AVG 7.5 and spybot no longer pick up anything bad...

I tried to get the Ad-aware scanner, but i don't now how to get the free download, got any help for that?

I tried the bitscan and it picked up stuff in a mozilla file (although i unistalled mozilla and firefox some time ago...) so i deleted the file, but then i had to go down to someone else's so it restarted.

And the internet isn't running properly, it will stop working within 5-15 minutes, this is due to the provider (Wight Cable).

#4 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

Hi devil_chrissy,

I tried to get the Ad-aware scanner, but i don't now how to get the free download, got any help for that?

Download, update and run
Adaware SE 1.06.r1

Be sure to run Adaware SE with a Full Scan in the Safe Mode.

How to Reboot into Safe Mode
tap F8 key during reboot, until the boot menu appears...use the arrow keys to choose "Safe Mode" from the menu......,then press the "Enter" key. If that does not work this go to this site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Fix whatever it suggests.

Adaware SE Tutorial

Ad-Aware SE Setup

Please download Hijackthis from the following link:

HijackThis Download Site with installer

Just click on Hijackthis_sfx.exe file that you downloaded.
A WinZip self extractor screen appears with the default location of C:\Program Files\Hijackthis.
Then press the Unzip button.
Then close the Self-Extractor window.

Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe to run it.

If you would like to make a shortcut for your Desktop so it's more easily accessable, right click HijackThis.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Please run the extracted HijackThis.exe from now on.

Post the BitDefender log and a Hijackthis log to this thread.

Edited by SifuMike, 22 February 2007 - 11:52 AM.

please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please contact a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the address of this thread in your request. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

#6 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

this thread is reopened

Posted Image

#7 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please contact a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the address of this thread in your request. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users