Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nero Essentials 7 Giving Me Hell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

Vista Home Premium - pre-installed. Dell Inspiron E1750 17" Notebook. 1GB Mem.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 Days old - virtually no sites visited so no knowledgable infections.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
-------------------
I installed Nero 7 after removing Roxio, since it is a preferred program for burning. I got the usual incompatibility message before installing but knew Nero had an update so I allowed it to install.

However, the installer fell over part way through and displayed a cryptic message saying that the installer stopped working and must close. Now, Nero is registered in the add/remove programs dialogue but does not show up under installed programs in the start menu. I tried to uninstall what had been installed but kept getting the same windows installer message as it fell over and over again with the same task.

I tried seeing if there was an available Windows update for Vista but there was not.

Do you feel the Nero update may work??..I don't want to F%%K the system up as i know it is already fragile and bug worthy.

Thanks for your help and assistance.
Darren

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 20 February 2007 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

Nero crashed on the Vista machine at work today - I wouldn't trust it until a Vista patch is released by Nero.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:09 PM

I think there is one isn't there?..on the nero site...well, your the MVP so Im sure you know more about it than me..:-)

Thanks.
D.

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

How can i uninstall Nero Essentials 7?????...its a real pain...Am i stuck with this prob??until there is a true Vista update?
I think I'll email the boffs at Nero and ask them if there is one under way.
I'll let you know the result.

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 20 February 2007 - 09:11 PM.

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:17 PM

USASMA - Have you been here yet..released only a few days ago..
http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-up.php

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:58 PM

Darren, Here are is a potential Fix for Nero.

1) From the Windows Search Bar, Type msconfig and press "Enter"

That will invoke the Microsoft Diagnostic Configuration Tool. USE EXTREME Caution.

Click Selective Start-up on the First Tab (General Tab)
Then Select the "Services Tab" Diasble Only the Anti-virus and Firewall Services including Windows Defender
Then Click Hide all Microsoft Services Ane uncheck any remaining Virus or Firewall Services
(What we are doing here is avoiding the possibility of an antivirus program thinking that Nero is a Virus)

Finally, Click on the Start-up TAB and Uncheck Windows Defender and all Antivirus or firewall Startup items.

Click apply and ok. Restart the computer.

Then install Nero Clicking yes whenever the system asks if you want to overwrite any existing Nero Files.

Provided all that works, open MSCONFIG once again, Click Start: type msconfig in the search bar and hit enter. Click on Normal Startup on the general TAB. Click Apply, and Click ok. Restart the Machine.

When windows comes up, click on start, go to Nero, right Clicl on Nero, and Click Properties.
Select the Compatability TAB, then Check the Box nest to Run in Compatable Mode with XP Service Pack 2
Also OPT to or Check the "Run as Administrator Check box."

I have been running Nero and DVD X Player w/o issue after following this procedure. Vista Didn't like DVD X Player even though it's supposed to work with Vista. I had several Blue Screens prior to running in compatable mode, but now everything just works.

PS Back up your DATA Before attempting any of the procedures here.

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:00 AM

If you are only wanting it because you are accustomed to it, and you are not interested in the new bloated features of ver 7, then Ver6.6.0.12 installs and runs perfectly in the Vista retail release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users