Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Doesn't Like Anti Virus.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:52 PM

Hi all, thanks for a great forum. I am helping a mate of mine with his PC. It is an older [98] model and is running xp. The machine operates normally until I put an a/v on it. Tried avg first then zone alarm. With either of these instaled from start up onwards there is constant whirrings and mutterings coming from the machine and it slows to almost a halt. We are talking up to 20 mins just to open the email client. Happens no matter what I am trying to open, even the task manager. Soon as I uninstal the a/v, and reboot, whacko and we are off and runnung again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

Sounds like the system may not have enough power/resources to support the antivirus software. Could you give us the specs of the system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hi wavemaker,Welcome to the forums

How much RAM, how much hard drive space is free and used
Have checked that there aren't many uneccesssay items also starting up
Start up List
Have you successfully run the AV,have you run it in Safe Mode
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Have you run the disk clean up utility and defragged
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have run clean up, defragged, and checked start up. AMD-K6 3D processor. 475mhz. 64.0 mb ram.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

:thumbsup: 64mb!?! That is most probably your problem. You should have a minimum of 256mb (Regardless of what MS suggests) for XP to operate efficiently. I run XP Pro on a P-III 500Mhz with 512mb and it runs great. RAM for that computer will be cheap, about $15\128mb and $35\256mb. I would by used and not spend a lot of money on that computer just because of it's age.

Edited by acklan, 20 February 2007 - 09:41 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Thanks again.I will go and see if I can get some 2nd hand ram. Regards.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

Is that a 100mhz system?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

I just upgraded memory for a customer in a Dell that only had 128 MB of RAM and it would hardly run at all. I always recommend a minimum of 512 MB because if you check to see how much Windows is using by itself without any programs running, it's more than 256 MB. If you don't have too much running in the background, you might have a spare 150 MB to run programs in. That means the machine has to swap not only programs that are running but much of the operating system off to hard drive space and it runs like molasses.

Go to Start -> Run and type in
msinfo32
. . . and hit enter and it will bring up info on how much memory you have, how much you're using, and how much page file space you're using.

#9 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

Ok, thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users