Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Indoor Air Quality

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:09 PM

I know this has nothing to do really with computers or even electronics but was hoping I could land on someone who knows a thing or two...

See the thing is in our band room it gets really hot and a lot of people have been getting dizzy and many people have had to leave the room to get fresh air including me. I have a feeling it also has to do with 60 people crammed in to a a fairly small room (we each have a chair and they cover about 75% of the floor space) that it might cause a lack of oxygen and a rise in CO2 levels... Do you think this could be possible. I was hoping I could maybe get someone to test the air so that we have proof to go to the principal with to at least get the air ducks cleaned (they haven't been cleaned in 15 years and their are black marks on the ceiling tiles around the exit vents. Not just marks but the tiles are black) but I have no idea what kind of companies do this kind of work.

What do you guys think? Do you think their is a major problem here, what kind of company would do this kind of testing?

The teacher can no longer do anything, she has tried everything, my parents want to get involved and I think with my parents and a lab report we might get them moving a little.

We never put a thermometer in the room, but we estimate it to get about 35-40 degrees Celsius and we aren't exaggerating, and we are in the dead of winter...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

The high school I go to had a similar problem. Yes absolutley those ducts need to be cleaned, that sounds dangerous. Also what probably accounts for all the lack of oxygen is everyone using their intruments, especially if you have a lot of low brass and flutes (they use the most air and suck down a lot everytime a phrase ends and a new one starts). My classroom is probably bigger than yours, but when the marching band meets, theres 120 people in one room. Our director managed to get two air conditioners for the room and that helped greatly. They're better than fans because fans mess up the sound waves, air conditioners don't. So I suggest the air duct cleaning for sure, and maybe air conditions, even if it is the dead of winter. :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:34 PM

I forgot to add we don't got any windows either :thumbsup:

Yeah we got a decent brass and 10 flutes out of 60 people...

Going to get some measurements of the room soon.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 20 February 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

:thumbsup: A lack of Windows XP (bad joke) could be a problem...

All I can suggest is to leave the doors open or something. *shrugs*

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

Lol... can't open the doors because we have to be in a soundproofed rooms and it bothers the other people around us...

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

I'm not sure if the lack of oxygen itself would cause the dizziness though it would surely cause sleepiness. My concern is that there are contaminants in the air causing the dizziness: stuff leaking out of the insulation or building materials, pest control stuff, even peeling paint particulates - especially if it's lead-based paint etc. The duct work should certainly be cleaned out, but there also needs to be a means of getting fresh air into the place. I also don't like the sound of black gunk on the ceiling fans and tiles. Just what is the black gunk composed of? Incidentally, it is less expensive to run heating and cooling equipment if the duct work is clean.

In the meantime, could practices be held outdoors?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

1) No ceiling fans :thumbsup:

2) Well their is about 4 feet of snow and average temperature of about -20... might not be the best...

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

You need to pump air in like they have to on those ultra efficient houses.

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:33 AM

I wonder if it's possible to take photos of the blackening around the vents, etc and both the teacher and your parents approach the nearest Public Health office with your concerns. Unsure what they are like in your area but here they follow up on complaints and concerns, including arranging for air quality testing, etc.

Do hope the problem is fixed - and quickly - and if not, the only thing that may work is if all or most of the band member's parents approach the Principal and gently but firmly explain that due to their concerns they will not permit their children to use this area until testing has been completed.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users