Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Takes At Least 40 Min To Load Up, Hd Light..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 unix110011

unix110011

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

hello good people of the internet.

i come to you for urgent help. my IBM 600E notebook, its doing weird things.

yesterday it was ok. everything was fine. i picked my wife up from the library and i guess when i did so,
the internet was down. then it was up, then down. we went to our hotel room, and i turned it on. it took FOREVER to load up. as least a good 40 min, at least. another thing, i use zonealarm firewall Free. it cant start up. it gives me the window, trying to intialize. then that window closes, then opens, and closes. im hoping, it is either a virus, or a rootkit, or something i can hopefully get rid of, and not a problem with my HD. could it be
a problem with my HD? im in safe mode right now with my wireless. no firewall is on, wont even turn on in safe mode. im confused, worried about my baby notebook, i have scanned for spyware and viruses, nothing. except the
everest labs thing, but thats nothing. i hope. should be. anyway, has anyone had this problem before, know what i might be able to do? HELP! please. thank you so much in advance for any information, advice, anything. thank you.

unix110011

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

First, while offline and in safe mode, uninstall Zone Alarm. If you have a problem removing ZA go here and get zfix.zip,
http://www.greenwood.iwarp.com/sgcomputer.html
Others have used this to successfully remove all remnants of ZA.
Next, make sure that Windows firewall is enabled. If this doesn't fix the problem then run an online scan with Bit Defender.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
Please let us know what worked what didn't.

Edited by buddy215, 20 February 2007 - 06:18 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

Can you also do the following : START RUN and type eventvwr and post anything you see in the red crosses?

#4 unix110011

unix110011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

buddy215, thank you so much for your help. i uninstalled zonealarm, and tried to turn my windows firewall on, it would not turn on, i googled the error message i got (PRAISE GOOGLE), and i had to merge a reg key and restart. it worked. i am running quite smooth now. i am going to run bit defender and every other program on bleeping computer just to make sure. thanks again buddy.

fozzie, i like the name, reminds me of the muppet babies. lol.
i did what you said and i came up with a few x's here and there. should i still repot those to you even though im running well? would it help things?

as for zonealarm messing up my computer, could you tell me what happened? and why? thanks.

is comodo free firewall a better choice then zonealarm?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

That is good to hear! I am not going to knock Zone Alarm. I have used it for 2 years or more and have had no problem. It could be malware related. Along with the online scan and not knowing what security programs you have installed, I would suggest Super Antispyware. Run it in Safe mode. As far as the Event Log, I would say run the scans and check the log again in a day or two and see if you still have red x's. I would definitely recommend reinstalling Zone Alarm or another fire wall.
Please let us know what if anything the scans find.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 unix110011

unix110011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

hey buddy.

scanned with:

super antispyware, ad-aware, , AntiVir, SpyDefense, Spybot search and Destroy.

Found nothing but a few tracking cookies. Which I deleted.

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:57 AM

i did what you said and i came up with a few x's here and there. should i still repot those to you even though im running well? would it help things?

Yes we can a have a look and see what is troubling your computer.

This is a "to-do list "what you can do improve performance

• Defrag your system. Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when a file is opened. Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and folders on the hard disk so that each occupies a single space on the disk. This speeds up reading and writing to the disk. Read "The Importance of Disk Defragmentation" for instructions.

• Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK. CHKDSK can be run from the Recovery Console, the command prompt or through the Windows GUI.
To run chkdsk from the Win XP GUI see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the command prompt see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the Recovery Console see these instructions.
The problem with running CHKDSK from Win XP is that it will not check files that are being used by Windows. Using chkdsk in the Recovery Console with the /r switch is a way to resolve this.

• Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files by running the System File Checker. If SFC discovers that a protected file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

• Clean up your hard drive by removing unused programs and transferring old data, pictures, music files to a CD or an external hard drive. When you have moved/saved the files you want to keep, run Disk Cleanup and let it scan your system for files to remove. "Don’t clean out the Prefetch folder" - This is a common myth that will not improve performance.

• Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.

• Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots with MSConfig. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable. If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

• Remove any third party "Memory Manager" or "Optimizer". Windows XP memory management was designed to make the best use of Ram and these memory management utilities defeat that purpose. They push applications out of RAM into the pagefile, creating holes in the RAM and by doing so, slow down your computer.

• Disable some visual effects. While visual embellishments that may be attractive, they don’t do anything else for you. Disabling some of them frees up system resources and makes the operating system perform better. Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced, click on "Settings" under performance...UNcheck all the visual effects, except for the last three. Click "Apply", then "OK", then "OK" again. Then right click your desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > "Effects...Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "OK".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users