Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edison Bulb May Join His Phonograph

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

Australia is the first. This law is in the California system now. It has a downside tho too. sort of like Replacing Freon. All the smmall disposals are dangerous.

Fluorescents, which create light by heating gases inside a glass tube, were developed in the early 20th century and sold publicly by the 1940s. They are generally considered to use more than 50 percent less energy and last several times longer than incandescent bulbs.

However, the mercury vapor inside fluorescents can damage the environment if the bulbs are broken, leading some states to require businesses that use large quantities of fluorescent lights to recycle them.

Short article

Australia will ban incandescent light bulbs by 2010, cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 4 million tons by 2012.

Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the government would phase in more efficient and expensive alternatives such as the compact fluorescent bulb by 2010.

The Benefits of Compact Fluorescent Lighting

CFLs have several advantages over incandescent light bulbs: they last from 8-10 times longer, use about 75% less energy, and produce 90% less heat while delivering more light per Watt. For example, a 25 Watt CFL provides about 1800 lumens, compared to 1750 lumens from a 100 Watt incandescent lamp.

CFLs have come a long way since their introduction. They provide a flicker-free, soft-white light and come in a variety of styles. The traditional "twist" bulb is the most popular, but if you need a more stylish version, consider the household style. This bulb is similar in design to a standard incandescent bulb but uses significantly less energy. The 3-way CFL is perfect for reading lamps or conversation areas where ambience is a factor. The globe style is designed for bathroom fixtures.

Here's a groovy advantage - CFLs save you money! One 20 Watt CFL (replaces a 75 Watt incandescent bulb) will save you $66 dollars over the life of the bulb (based on $.12 KWH). Replace one 100 Watt incandescent bulb with a 25 Watt CFL and save a whopping $74 dollars over the life of the bulb (hey - that's 21 extra Mocha Latte's).

Not only are CFLs the smart choice - they're hip too. The EPA reports that CFLs are the environmentally responsible choice. Replacing one incandescent light bulb with an energy saving CFL bulb reduced carbon monoxide emission to the atmosphere by 1,000 pounds.

According to the Department of Energy, as a nation we spend about one-quarter of our electricity budget on lighting, or more than $37 billion annually. And while traditional incandescent light bulbs are less expensive to purchase, they are much more expensive to operate. Incandescents aren't such a bright idea after all (sorry - couldn't resist).

http://www.greenfeet.net/newsletter/compactfluorescent.shtml
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

Australia and the US could have done more if they would have signed the Kyoto treaty?
(this to start a discussion)

Edited by fozzie, 20 February 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:39 PM

Why are we not just updating to LED lighting?

The Lights are just as cheap as Incandescent bulbs when you figure in the Life of the bulb and the amount of energy used. (average power usage is roughly 1/3 last I checked).

In industrial Settings LEDs are not the answer just yet flourescents and Metal Halide/ Mercury Vapor lights disperse more light over a greater area thse reducing the total number of lighting fixtures

Posted Image

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

Problem:
Lazy people who wont put the bulbs where they belong and not in with the other trash.

They say" Ahh I am just one person who will care" and as 90% do that it will ruin the ground.

I use them and didnt know they had mercury I didnt even see where they said to recycle.

Leds are very nice. I have a 14 led flashlight and now a 51 led flashlight and they are super bright. They do though have bulbs to burn out even though they say the last up to 150k hours. Go to radio shack and get a replacement led and its a whopping 5 bucks. Go to ebay and sped 18 and get 51 leds in a flashlight...ha ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users