Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Came With Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bebeau

Bebeau

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

I just bought a new computer and of course it came with Vista. I work from home and the place where I work at is not compatible to Vista. Is there anyway I can get rid of Vista and go back to XP?

Thanks,
Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:49 PM

There are a couple of ways:
1) You can format your drive and install XP from CD
2) You can install a virtual machine program and run XP inside of it
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

There is a better (more technical way to approach this) way to look at it.

First off: Ask youself about who the manufacturer is.
You may want to check their website for XP Drivers.

Drivers remember are the small pieces of software that send instruction to the parts of your computer.

Your video card "driver" would tell the video card how to Display Video.

Secondly, Do you pay for XP? In this case you may have to pay full retail. 299.99 for XP Pro Full edition.

Contact the manufacturer and ask if they have an XP Option. IE Can you purchase an XP Restore Set.
Restores include the OS, Drivers, and Any Featured software typically. If your manufacturer provides Restores for XP on a machine that Had Vista, you may be able to get XP Much cheaper. This is not always the case tho.

Also, Why is your PC not compatible with the network? Does it have something to do with the Default settings in Vista? (Meaning the way vista is set up out of the box) If so, there are a number of ways to
Use Vista with your existing network. For that you may want to see The Network Forum here on BC or you may want to visit Microsoft.com for walk-throughs and how-to's.

If there's anything further, please Post it here.

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

Hi Lisa,

I had Vista pre-loaded also. When trying to connect to office network, the other computers could not be seen, that is, they did not show up in the network folder. I removed the pre-installed Norton Internet security and voila...problem solved...

if that is your only problem, that your computer cant see others on the network, try removing Norton if it was also preloaded..if you have a 15 month subscription it will tell you the meter will still be ticking while the application is not loaded..ie, remaining days will reduce accordingly regardless of the presence of Norton on your system,,,

I'm not a norton fan personally.

Good luck
Darren

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:07 AM

As you have Vista, a better option is to keep it. Is there a spare partition on your New hard disk of about 15 Gbs. If not, there are several ways to make one. You do not need a virtual machine. Having made the xtra partition, it is possible to then install XP on that. It will creat a dual boot problem and you will not then see the Vista boot option. There are several ways around that. If you want to go on that route, I or others can post the method(s)

#6 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

Also as a side note there may be problems installing the XP when doing a format clean install if the HDD is a SATA drive so you may want to make sure to get the drivers for that if there are any problems getting to the XP disk. Also to add to the previouse statement with the dual boot situation when you boot into Vista you will loose you XP restore points and vice versa so keep that in mind.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

I just bought a new computer and of course it came with Vista. I work from home and the place where I work at is not compatible to Vista. Is there anyway I can get rid of Vista and go back to XP?

Thanks,
Lisa

Hey Lisa -

I'm curious, too.

What is it on your work's computers that is not compatible with Vista?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users