Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Wont Read Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 its9ball

its9ball

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

Hello all,

I have a question for you.

last week I had some problems with my system where most of all the programs stopped working. The computer will start fine and I can surf the web and get my emails, but thats about all. I got out my gateway restore disk and started to restore my system as new again.

Heres the problem. I reboot the computer with disk in drive and tap R as explained and the screen just stays black, then the computer starts to Beep every time I hit the R key. I then tried doing it again, this time tapping the F11 key and system starts to Beep again, with the black screen.

I called gateway and they sent me out another restore disk thinking maybe the one I received was bad. The new restore CD did the same thing. Last week I did have a problem with installing programs where I would get this error message ( C:\windows\system32\autoc.nt. This system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft Windows applications ) I fixed that problem right away by replacing the Autoexec.nt, command.com and config.nt files back into the system32 folder, must have been done by SP2.

I went into my Bios and made sure the system was booting from CD-ROM yet it still wont read the recovery disk. NOTE: CD-Rom does work with any other program CD I have, Just not the recovery disks.
If anyone has an answer or can narrow down my problem please respond.

Thank You.
Q: Whats the difference between a Duck?
A: Each leg is both the same.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

Well, let me start by asking this, did the computer, when you got it, come with Windows XP SP1 than you upgraded to SP2 and/or have you updated the bios or any system preferences?

It seems to me that maybe the recovery CD is out of date. Have you tried re-intalling the programs that don't work and making sure there isn't a third-party application corrupting your files?

If you have a Windows XP install CD, try repairing the Windows install with that instead of the Gateway CD.

As for the beeping keyboard strikes, that's probably just a keyboard error that you either press the keys too late or too early, or something else. Try the other things and if that's not the case and you need to get to the CD, we'll work with the keyboard thing.

And also, do you run the CD at startup or while Windows is running? I've never owned a Gateway and only worked on a few, so I'm unsure of when you actually use the restore disc.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

Although the CD may work in Windows, does it work when booting? I'd try another bootable CD to see if you can make it boot that way. You can download this free memory tester and make it bootable by following the directions on the site: http://www.memtest86.com/

If it boots from this, then it's either the CD that's bad, or it's the recovery routine that's bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 its9ball

its9ball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

THe computer did come with SP! and I've upgraded it to SP2. I was able to fix quite a bit of problems with the system and can now install all my programs from their CD's. I still have problems tring to use the recovery disk tho. I put the recovery disk in right as i'm booting and tap the F-11 key and thats where the problem starts. My screen stays blank ( black ) and recovery screen wont come up and then thats when keyboard starts beeping. SCreen will stay like that for as long as I have disk in CD-Rom drive.

If at that point I take the CD out, then computer will at that time start up. If I put the recovery CD in and try and view information on it from Windows it wont let me, I just get an hour glass and it will stay like that again until I pop out the CD. The only reason I want to use the recovery disk is because I know theres more problems in my system then I know of and I just want to get it back to factory.

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

Did you try it in another CD drive? If not, try that and see what the results are. Also, make sure the CD is compatible with your version of Windows.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

You said the computer beeps, if you listen to the beeps they have a certain number of beeps and they might have different lengths to the beep like a short beep and a long beeeep if you understand what I am saying. Can you count the beeps and whether they are all short beeps of long ones and write them down like s l s s s l l

There is a code that tells what these beeps mean and I will have to dig it up but hopefully this will tell us what is wrong.

Here is a site that might be able to help you diagnose the beep code.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Edited by ThorXP, 26 February 2007 - 07:44 PM.

#7 its9ball

its9ball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

THe CD I'm using is the recovery CD that Gateway gave me along with the computer, they also sent my 2 more over a coarse of 2 weeks because they thought the ones they sent me were corrupt. As far as the beeping, The system only beeps when I key down the F-11 key. In order to use the rcovery disk I have to put i in the CD Rom drive right when I'm booting the system, they then want me to tap the F-11 key 2 times a second, this how to bring up the options for formatting. Tapping the R key is used to restore ( repair ) the operating system, neither one works. I start tapping and then after about a minute the system starts to beep with every tap of the key.

As far as the CD Roms, I only have the one Drive, No floppy either.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

I'm by no means an expert at this, but one thought occurred to me. Did you change the boot sequence so the comp. will boot from the CD and not the hard-drive? Reason why I ask is that you say you have no problems once you remove the disk from the drive. If you didn't, let us know and someone more knowledgeable than I will tell you how to do this.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 its9ball

its9ball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

I did have the system set to boot from CD. its just not reading the restore ( recovery ) disk, all the system does is keep making a crunching sound like it wants to read it, it will keep doing that until I eject the CD, then it will continue to boot up. The restore CD is the only Disk the system wont read. and I have 3 disks all the same that Gateway sent me over the last month. I'm thinking I might have some systems files missing that are used for this.

This all started after I had used a anti virus program and cleaned the computer. I've had allot of system files missing after that and spend days tring to restore them from internet sites and links from this site that other people had posted with the same problems.

I still feel I have more missing files tho but I just cant put my fimger on them. I would just us a Windows Xp disk and re-install the system that way but everyone I now only has recovery Disks, and as we all know, they don't work. I do know someone with the real Xp disk, but tring to borrow that from him would be like asking him for his left arm. He thinks the Windows police will come and get-em LOL. Thats a No No Grrrrrrrrrrrr

IS there a site out in this big world of internet where I can check if all my files are in order, missing or corrupt?

Thanks. John

Edited by its9ball, 09 March 2007 - 03:09 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

The Gateway restore CD is actually a fairly simple thing with a couple of files and an i386 subdirectory. I've also seen a lot of problems with the Gateway's reading the disks.

I'm speculating now by guessing that there may be something corrupted in the restore sequence that's built into the Gateway - I'm not real familiar with that tho. At work, we use another copy of the appropriate version of XP to do the restore and it usually works for us.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users