Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hiding Administrator's Programs From Other Users

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 roavatodd

roavatodd

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

I am the administrator for my laptop computer. But other people borrow it for presentations and log in as users. I want to be able to keep other users of my laptop (running XP Professional SP2) from seeing the programs that I have in the C drive programs folder.

I've searched for answers for this but unable to find a way. I've seen resolutions on how to keep other users from opening folders/programs or running programs - but they can still SEE the folder. I don't even want them to see my program folders.

How can I achieve this?

Much thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:00 AM

See if this will work. Before you loan out the laptop, right click on the program files folder then click on properties. Near the bottom of the little window that pops up put a check mark by hidden. You can always reverse this when you get the laptop back.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:30 AM

Hi, you can make your programs hidden $ shares. Go to >control Panel>Adnin. Tools>then go to Computer Managment>shared Folders(double click)>right click shares>new file share. In folder to share >browse to the folder and on the next line put in the name of the folder e.g. (home)put a $ after it, home$. And then follow the prompts.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users