Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In Need Of New Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaveM12

DaveM12

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

Last night, at a party at a friends house, I've concluded that my powersupply failed (3 days after my warranty ran out. Go figure.) The LED in the power button was flashing amber, and i read this in the dell manual for my model:

amber light Blinking amber indicates a problem with the power supply inside the computer. If the system cannot boot and there is a solid amber light, this indicates a problem with the system board (see "Power Problems" in your computer Owner's Manual).

The original power supply in my computer was 305 watts, and i'm looking for something a little bit higher, 350-400 watts preferably. The question is, which power supply would fit in my case? Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

The first thing that I'd do is to call Dell and raise a storm about how their product lasts untill it's exactly 3 days out of warranty. I'd pitch a fit about it, as I've found that in some cases, companies will cover these types of issues under their warranty.

If Dell is no help, then (aside from keeping it in mind next time you buy a computer), you should hit their site and find a power supply that will fit your computer (make and model, which you didn't list, so I can't look for it! :thumbsup: ). You should be able to find it fairly easy on their website. The downfall about Dell, is that their computers are somewhat "part prioritized", meaning that it's not a standard case and you can't throw in any old power supply (although certain psu's are compatible).

If you want, you can post your make/model of your Dell and I can do some more research for you. :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

What model Dell do you have? Some models you will have to purchase a PSU that conforms to their non-ATX form factor, this means you may not be able to purchase one over the counter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DaveM12

DaveM12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

I have a dell Dimension E510, and in recent months i've been realizing how limiting dell can be. Even worse, there are no available power supplies on their website at all! However, someone on their forums suggested two power supplies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103937

http://www.affordablesurplus.com/dell-5100...ower-supply.asp

Any other suggestions? The affordable surplus PSU specificly says that it fits the E510, however, the newegg option doesnt come right out and say it. If the newegg item does comply though, i'd get that, as the new Geforce 7600gt i recently ordered from newegg says to use a 350watt PSU.

Edited by DaveM12, 20 February 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

There are several companies that will sell you a reconditioned power supply via the web. If you feel comfortable opening the computer, look for a part number / specs and do a google search. One thing... make sure the site "feels" legit. The BBB has info on most of these.

Good luck

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

I have replaced several of the newer dells power supplies, using Antec 400 watt models. However, knowing what model dell you have would help.

As far as the failure three days after warranty finish, I see it at least once a week, and all brands of off the shelf computers have it.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

Sorry I didnot read all of the posts previously here is a link to Antecs web site showing the power supply that I have used http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=26400

here is the link to Dells instructions

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1461861
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

There's basically 3 ways to get a PSU into your Dell (this depends on the model)
1) Buy a replacement for it from Dell or an authorized replacement shop (very expensive)
2) Buy an ATX PSU and install it (if it'll fit)
3) Cut the case to make an ATX PSU fit. (We used aircraft snips on the last one that we replaced).

Some Dells have ATX PSU's, some have the Dell proprietary one's. The easiest way to tell is to make a tracing of your PSU and the holes in the back of the case and take it to a store that sells PSU's - then look at them to see if they'll fit without cutting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users