Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Wipe Out The Hard Drive And Start Over

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mel_731

mel_731

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hi all, new here. great place for an aspiring computer geek like myself. :cool:

I had a Dell dimension 3200. it was about 5 years old. it started having issues, and was very slow. (esp with Photoshop!) I got an external hard drive to move all my stuff to and free up the memory. Then i added 512 RAM. Got high speed internet. the monitor died around Christmas time. (so hubby got me a beautiful flat wide screen :thumbsup: ) Then it got itself a Trojan or 2. ugg. It was driving me insane and acting up and i wanted to throw it in the lake. :flowers: It officially flitzed out 2 weeks ago, :inlove: it kept randomly restarting itself, and not turning back on. (it took me to that last good configuration page but wouldnt go and configure itself.) it made angry beeping noises at me from inside the tower. the last thing it said was TRSDK Error 32 TRS DK_ERR_unknown05 ver or something like that. That's when i said :trumpet: to it for the last time, got in my truck and and went and got us a new computer. luckily i had most of my stuff transferred to the external HD.

My Pop is without a 'puter and I am going to give him the old Dimension, since i just put $100 worth of RAM in it. it will suit his purposes just fine. (basically typing letters and using the internet) and easier for him, not having to go to the library to use the internet. The Dell is in need of being totally wiped out and re installing the OS. (xp sp1 came with it, then i will have to update it to SP2 again)

so how do i do all that?

Thanks in advance!!

>^..^< Mel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

Do you have all of the disks for the computer? The recovery\installation, and drivers disks?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mel_731

mel_731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

acklan,
yes, I have disks. I have the original XP disk, all sealed up, that came with the puter. as well as all the other disks that came with it (works suite) and a few other things (i already gave that box of stuff to Pop.)
:thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

It should be no more difficult than booting the computer with the installation disks and following the instructions on screen. The disks should all be numbered and the process will prompt you for the appropriate disk a needed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

Try CTRL + F11 (or F10) when it starts up with the DELL logo. It should take you to the recovery process, Then follow the on-screen instructions

#6 mel_731

mel_731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

thankd, both of you, I will be going to his place today or tomorrow and will let y'all know the outcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users