Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Of These Programs Should I Use And Not Use?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 goat199

goat199

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:56 AM

Ok so I want my computer to be protected from everything. I have XP pro and i check for updates constantly. Basically i want it to run as quick as possible and be safe from everything (don't we all). So here is a list of programs I run at least once a week, PLEASE let me know which i should keep or get rid of, and also i need to know if I can get some other programs, any input is welcome :thumbsup: ok here they are:

1.Main virus protection - Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition (By the way i keep all these updated ASAP)
2.Windows Defender
3.Spybot - Search & Destroy
4.Spyware Terminator
5.Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal
6.CCleaner
7.TREND MICRO HouseCall 6.5-Free online virus scan, at least once a week, with Java 7.0 and their Kernel one which they provide.
8.Ultimate Startup Manager
9.SpywareBlaster
10.Also I clean temp files, cookies, Internet history, prefetch, Java Cache, Ect... With ATF-Cleaner, Disk Cleanup, and Defragment.

Thats about it, I also post my HijackThis log once every couple weeks. So I want to know should i keep using all these programs, or get rid of a couple to speed things up, or change settings on them, or add some other programs to help :flowers: I basically want to get the best out of my computer and keep it safe, just like the rest of you :trumpet: so please put in your input, thank you very much !

Edited by jgweed, 20 February 2007 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:04 AM

A couple of good free anti-spyware programmes are:

Superantispyware
AVG Antispyware

Does your Symantec include a firewall? If not then you should get one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:15 AM

I assume that the Symantec is a "paid for one ". If not you might want to consider to remove it and use AVG Free ( Check the link in my sig)
What needs some attanetion is the fact that all these programs have real time scanning. ( Adaware/Spyware Warrior/Windows Defender) By having them running simultaneously you might slow down your computer. I would also follow the suggestion from Budapest as far as Super Anhtispyware and AVG.

A good and free firewall is Zone Alarm( please check my sig)

#4 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

I recommend you "Secunia Software Inspector."

Feature Overview - The Secunia Software Inspector:
* Detects insecure versions of applications installed
* Verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied
* Assists you in updating your system and applications
* Runs through your browser. No installation or download is required.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

First, there is no 100 per cent protection for your PC, no matter how many applications you have and no matter how careful you are about your downloading and surfing habits.
I think one needs to keep a balance between protective applications and computer functionality. A good firewall, one AV, and perhaps three AS applications will be, with user caution, enough to cover 80 or more per cent of malware instances. I see that you also on occasion use on-line scanners to double check---a very good idea.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 goat199

goat199
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

My firewall is just the windows one that comes with the OS. Ive noticed that Spyware Terminator has realtime scanning, like you were talking about fozzie, sofar the program hast ever found anyhting and it is the slowest scanner of them all, so my question on that is should i get rid of it?
Thank you Budapest & HIPPO1023 for those suggested programs, ill get right on that :thumbsup:
one more question should i get rid of any other of the programs that I listed? or will they not affect the speed of the computer?

Thanks again :flowers:

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

The windows firewall is only half a firewall because it only checks incoming traffic. You should get a better one. There are good free ones available. There are some recommendations in the following link.

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Edited by Budapest, 20 February 2007 - 10:35 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:34 AM

Be aware that the Windows firewall only scans incoming packets; you should use a firewall that also scans OUTGOING packets, preventing malware from "calling home" or infecting other computers on the internet.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:51 AM

avg anti-spyware is a super programme, but i can't keep it out of my start menu. i am somewhat a newbie, and would like to keep this programme installed. i have no problem with adaware, spybot and superantispyware. i would like to use avg the same way. does anyone know of a way to keep avg anti-spyware installed without it reappearing in the startup menu after bootup?

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:17 AM

To stop the resident shield do this:

Disabling the Resident Shield:

* Click the Shield icon at the top and under "Resident shield is..." - click active.
* This should now change to inactive.

To keep it from loading at boot, and I'm working from memory here, right click on the icon in the system tray. You will see an option "Start with windows" uncheck that or something like that and it will no longer load at boot-up.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:29 AM

What are your resources? RAM, Hard drive, processor? If you have the RAM and the procesor to handle the programs there will be little issue. One thing most users over look is caution on the net. You can have every security program available but if you are careless or do not be selective of what you downlaod or access you will still become infected.
IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#12 douchrti

douchrti

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

I used Avast for along time.
And Ad-Aware works great too.
Im using BitDefender now, seems to work well.
Remember that some can interfere with each other too.
Doug Woodall

#13 Guest_madaro_*

Guest_madaro_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

I use NOD32, Windows XP Firewall and common sense when using the internet, that's it. This combination has worked well for me, since installing NOD32 I have been able to eliminate, one by one, the other security programs I had been using for adware/spyware detection and removal. NOD32 is more than just an antivirus system, it's an anti-threat system. Now, my computer is faster and more responsive, I no longer have compatability or system performance issues with "other" security software. This setup made a big difference on my system performance, I also feel well protected and comfortable with my current security setup. Your mileage may vary... it's all in what you feel comfortable with, your surfing habits and security needs.

#14 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

orange blossom,
my fault. i should have been more specific, and said the free version 7.5 was what i meant. i have it downloaded now and when i click "shield", it says "no resident shield in the free version".
there is no tray icon either. there is one on the desktop, but nothing i do will get me anything similar to the wording "start with windows".
it's probably no big deal that it starts up anyway, since it's basically dormant, like adaware and spybot. if i can scan with it in safe mode, it is well worth the bother. thanks again, Ed James

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Hello ejames82:

Actually, I had thought you were still in the trial period of the free version. Now I am confused. In what way is it starting when you boot? I have the free version too, but I see no indication of it starting when I boot, now that I am well past the introductory period.

In order to see the phrase "start with windows," which at this point would be grayed out anyway, you would need to start the application, then right click on the icon that appears in the system tray.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users