Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf123

Wolf123

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:48 AM

Hi guys,

Yesterday I downloaded the new McAfee that came up on my toolbar telling me to do so.

I just wondered is as good as the last one??

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:54 AM

Review of McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Wolf123

Wolf123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:23 AM

Cheers Budapest.

Just one question If anyone knows it.

On the old Mcafee you could see the hackers but now I can't seem to find option if there is any unwanted guests.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

I think it has to do with how you have it set to display information alerts. You can change the settings so that some information alerts are shown and some are not, and at present yours is probably set to not display information alerts. Find the settings for this and adjust it to your needs.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Wolf123

Wolf123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:55 AM

Cheers for the fast replys Buddapest.

Just one last question when I checked this on Programme Permission it says that my Wireless Monitor Application is Outbound-Only Acess??

Just wondered is this ok?

Again many thanks.

Edited by Wolf123, 20 February 2007 - 06:56 AM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:03 AM

I'm not sure what the Wireless Monitor Application is. Hopefully someone else a little more knowledgeable can help.

The difference between Full Access and Outbound-Only Access is that Full Access allows the application the ability to both send data and receive unsolicited data on non-system ports, whereas Outbound-Only Access only allows it to send data.

I would recommend leaving it as Outbound-Only if it doesn't cause you any problems.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Wolf123

Wolf123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:06 AM

I think the Wireless Monitor Application referrs to my Router not sure but I think it does.

It seems to be way better than the old McAfee then again im not to good on pc's so it could be rubbish.

#8 Wolf123

Wolf123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

Hi guys,

Another stupid question from me but here I go,

Im getting loads of hacker activity on my ports,just wondering is this normal and can i close the ports.

Again many thanks.

#9 Wolf123

Wolf123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

Can anyone answer the above question.

Again cheers.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Just to add my 2 cents--------
Like Budapest stated in post #4, you can cut down on the alerts by changing your settings to not notifying you every time your firewall blocks something.
I have included a link to a site that you will find very interesting and informative.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Wolf123

Wolf123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:56 AM

Many thanks buddy and Budapest.

I changed my settings to stealth,is that ok??

Again cheers for the fast replys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users