Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bit Torrent Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vinith_04

vinith_04

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:24 AM

Hello people I want to download Ubuntu linux which is a large file (approx 700mb) which may take a long time at my internet speed. So I have decided to download it elsewhere at a faster speed, but i wont be able to download it at once, So I want to ask you if there is a software that would help me to download the file part by part.
Also I have heard about Bittorrent which I heard would help to download large files quickly, Please help me regarding this as I am completely new to this.I have some of my friends who tell me that it is possible to get any software or e-books using Bittorrent, please tell me if this is possible, if yes please tell me how??

Please help,

Vinith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:55 AM

If you want to use torrents to download files then you will need something like uTorrent. This will allow you to download music, videos, ebooks and the like. A couple of words of warning though. Many of the files are copyrighted, so it is illegal to download them (it's up to you if you want to download copyright material). Also, a lot of files you find by filesharing are fake and may contain viruses and/or spyware. You have to be careful downloading this kind of stuff.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

The words of advice when using torrent to d/l large files. use the developers recommended torrents or if they dont offer what your looking for BitTorrent has a good search engine that many respectable Colleges (Like Duke, UNC, UCLA, ect) that many offer what your looking for (say Fedora Core 6 in DVD ISO format)

Posted Image

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

For the record...

No# 1. There is nothing illegal about downloading copyrighted material using torrent clients if the software vendor/owner provides that as a means for you to get their software..

And for the record... I've downloaded Ubuntu Web Server , and the Desktop Version, both using uTorrent, and between them both 1=700M+ and the other 600M+, I was able to download both of them together within 45 minutes.

Ubuntu is available by Torrent clients, and if I were you, I'd go that route. I'm not going to get into much details of the mechanics about .torrent clients, but....... you'll not put all the strain on one server,, but you'll be getting your file(s) from many servers at one time. Much quicker than ftp, http, or otherwise.

Ubuntu encourages the use of the torrent file to download. I think I had around 35,000 or such people sharing that one file. I got my files fast. Even on dial up, I'm positive it will be faster than any other method you try, considering the file size too. I'm not on dial up though.

But if you download uTorrent, and download the Ubuntu .torrent file, all you have to do is install the uTorrent client, then double-click on the .torrent file you have saved on your hard drive.... and just tell it where you want to save it. It'll be a done deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users