Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kaleb_keith

kaleb_keith

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:47 AM

I posted last week about my computer (15" pbook g4 1.33 GHz) crashing. I called Mac outfitters today to see how the repairs/stauts was on my machine. They said that the hard drive needs replaced as well as the optical drive (I just had a new optical drive installed 6 months ago!). They said they tried a few ways to get the data off but that they need to try several other things, too. Apparently there hasn't been any data retrieved thus far. As you can imagine Iím really nervous/upset/worried about this. I have heard through several people that there is always a way to get the data off and that sometimes you have to send it away to a company that specializes in this. I guess my question is: do these places really work? I really don't care what the price is...I just need all of my lost data. Any thoughts or recommendations of a place to send my hard drive if Mac outfitters cannot successfully mine my data?

Moved from the " General Chat Forum". ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 21 February 2007 - 01:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:06 AM

You made some suggestions in this post to another member, didn't that work?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

This is a "crap shoot" and it depends on how badly you want your data. While I'm not familiar with Macs - I'd imagine that the technique was the same.

As for there always being a way to get the data off - that may not be true. But more important is the cost - typicaly top level data recovery companies will charge $1600 or more (that was the quote that I got on my PC hard drive) to disassemble your drive in a clean room and move the platters to a functioning drive to read from it.

Also, the software for reading the hard drive regardless of it's condition is also very expensive.

And at the end, it all depends on how badly your data is messed up. It may still not be recoverable because it's just too far gone to be readable. Will you be happy with Ĺ of a photo? How about retrieving only the number and dates on the checks in your accounting program - but the amounts and the payee are missing?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kaleb_keith

kaleb_keith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:56 AM

hello
fozzie
Thanks for your reminder, but I am little bit confused and I want to remove my confusion with more memberís ideas.

#5 connor johnson

connor johnson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:43 AM

Yes, these places really work. They use techniques which can include the disassembly of the drive and direct examination of the drive surface. Depending on just what is necessary (it is unlikely that your drive requires anything that extreme, but hard drives that have been through fires often do), it could be several thousand dollars. I most certainly hope more conventional methods of data recovery will prove effective. There are many companies doing data recovery services. Try Salvage Recovery Lab. I contacted them once and I got my problem solved. They got 90% of my data back. I was extremely happy to get my data back. You can call them at 1 203-973-0242. I think you will have to send the drive physically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users