Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oops, Fried Computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:46 AM

My friends computer had a stick of 128mb pc2700 ram. It had an open slot, and since I'm getting new ram I thought I would give him a stick of my old 256mb pc3200 ram. I put it in thinking the faster ram would clock down to 333mhz (pc2700), but instead there was this burning smell, and black screen. We tried without ram, and other things like a different monitor, and nothing worked. I tried his ram in my motherboard though and it works, and my stick I tried in his works too. So what could have caused this and is there any solution besides having to buy a new motherboard/computer?I know i put the ram in the right way. Also I was thinking it mgiht be because the ram i put in was Dell. Any help is greatly appreciated, and faster the reply is better because his mom is going to get mad at me and him.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

Check the power supply.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"